If you have been living a ketogenic lifestyle for a while, I am sure you are like us, and envious of all the keto snacks that our American friends share on YouTube and Instagram. So we decided to highlight some of the great keto snacks that we can buy at our supermarkets here in Australia. We headed off and went looking for keto snacks at Coles first. In Australia, Coles is one of the 3 main grocery stores.
Keto snacks at Coles FYI
When we were working on this keto snacks at Coles list we decided on a few points:
- We were looking for low carb snacks. We didn’t worry too much about ingredients and decided to let you make a decision around if the ingredients fit your choices and lifestyle.
- We are also aware that snacking isn’t usually recommended on a keto diet and we don’t usually snack on daily basis. As we feel keto is a lifestyle choice, we feel snacking does suit some situations, like travelling, movies and socialising with friends and family.
- We also tried to only include foods that you could consume immediately and didn’t need any preparation at all.
- The keto snacks at Coles we found were what was available at our local Coles. We are aware this will vary widely depending on your local Coles.
Berries are such a great grab and go snack. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are easily found in most of the Coles supermarkets in Australia.
The price will definitely vary for all berries depending on the season. We were researching for this article the blueberries and strawberries were $2.50 a punnet and the raspberries with $3 a punnet.
- Strawberries 5.5g net carbs per 100g
- Blueberries 12g net carbs per 100g
- Raspberries 5.5g net carbs per 100g
- Blackberries 4.2g net carbs per 100g
Qukes (Mini Cucumbers)
We fell in love with qukes a few years ago. What we love about them, is there is no need to cut them, you can just open the pack and eat a quke or two. Since we first found these, they are now really easy to find at most Coles supermarkets. We usually locate them near the tomatoes. These are a great snack, you can just eat by themselves or you can use to dip into your favourite keto dip. We love to pair these with our ranch dip. So good.
Again, with fresh produce, price is always going to vary, but the day we were in Coles, a 250g packet was $3.
- 1.2g net carbs for 100g
These were a new find for us. They had zucchini, eggplant, pumpkin and capsicums. We absolutely love the idea of being able to grab a packet of these on the go. We found these in the fresh deli section of the supermarket near the speciality deli meats and cheeses.
Another thing to note is prices are likely to vary from store to store. At our Coles these were $5 a packet.
- Zucchini 2.1g of net carbs per 100g
- Eggplant 2.8g of net carbs per 100g
- Capsicum 3.9g net carbs per 100g
- Pumpkin 7.3g net carbs per 100g
Please note – I forgot to grab the carbs of the packet. In order to keep things consist I have provided the carb count from cronometer for the raw option of each vegetable. Keep in mind, this is a guide. If you are tracking make sure you check the packet.
Pick and mix Olives
Olives are such a wonderful snack. The thing I love about the pick and mix, is you only need to buy what you want and only get the amount you need. I really love the Sicilian olives the best.
- Sicilian olives 1.5g net carbs per 100g
- Kalamata olives 3.3g net carbs per 100g
- Green olives 1.5g net carbs per 100g
Pick and Mix Nuts
Not everything at the pick and mix nuts section are low carb. If you want to further investigate the best nuts for keto, check out this article. We like the raw or dry roasted options. Avoid any of the mixes that have dried fruit in them. We also love that you can just get a small portion, if you are wanting a snack straight away.
The price per kg varies from nut to nut.
- If you are looking for the carb counts for different keto friendly nuts check out this article.
Egg and Spinach Snack Pot
We have only just noticed that our local Coles has started stocking pre boiled and peeled eggs in these little snack pots. I am not too sure of the point of including the spinach as I can only imagine how dry that spinach would be. Eggs is one of the most perfect snacks, so the fact you can grab one at your local supermarket is really exciting.
$3 for one snack pot.
- 0.5g per snack pot
Peanut butter slugs
Erika is a massive fan of peanut butter and can struggle with portion control when it comes to snacking on peanut butter. We love that Pics have come out with these slugs. They are great for travelling and to have in your handbag for when you are desperate.
$4 for a packet of 6.
- 4.3g net carbs per slug
Low Carb Protein Bars
We have never been big fans of protein bars. Our Optifast meal replacement bar days ruined them for us. Our Coles had a huge protein bar section. There are a few low carb options at Coles now, including Atkins, Lo Carb and Quest. We are sure there are more than that, but as they are not something we consume, we will let you do the work on these and find the ones that suit you best.
Obviously, price is going to vary depending on the protein bar you choose.
Again, the carb count on these products can vary widely. Make sure you look at the nutritional panel when choosing a protein bar. If you are concerned with ingredients on your keto/low carb lifestyle, double check those too.
Coles has a couple of different keto chocolate options. If you are looking at the Sweet William brand, make sure you check each nutritional panel as some of their products are not sugar-free and are higher in carbs. We have been caught out with them before. We also love 85% and 90% Lindt, Coles have a 85% dark chocolate and also the Well Naturally brand.
- Sweet William dark chocolate 50g $3
- Lindt 100g is often on special for $3
- Well Naturally 45g $2.85
- Coles Finest 85% Dark Chocolate 100g $2.50
- Sweet William dark chocolate 3.4g net carbs per 50g bar
- Lindt 85% 2 squares 3.8g net carbs (20g serve)
- Well naturally Coconut delight 4.5g net carbs per 45g bar
- Coles Finest 85% Dark Chocolate 2 squares 9.2 net carbs (20g serve)
Roasted Seaweed Snacks
If you are a fan of seaweed snacks, these are a great choice. We have tried a few different seaweed snacks and have never been a massive fan.
$1.80 a packet
- Coles roasted seaweed snacks 1.1g net carbs per serve
Pork crackling is an excellent on the go snack. If you are someone that loved potato chips as a snack pre keto, these will fill that void. They will give you that salty crunch of a potato chip without as many carbs.
$2.15 per packet
- Pork crackles 0g net carbs per packet
Almond snack packs
Almonds are another one of those foods that are super easy to overeat. So these little snack packs are great for portion control. They are also great for hiking and travelling.
$2 for an 80g snack pack
- Only Almonds snack pack 1.4g net carbs per serve
Canned fish may not be the best snack in some situations, you don’t want to be the person that smells out the train with fish. But it can be such a good, quick and easy snack on the go. Coles has plenty of different canned fish options. We tend to prefer that it’s in springwater to avoid the vegetables oils in the ones with oil.
Price will vary depending on the canned fish you choose. The one pictured below is $3.05.
- John West wild caught salmon slices less than 1g net carbs per serve.
The Provedore Range
We were so excited to find these prosciutto and cheese roll-ups in Coles. When we travelled in the US, a version of these were very easy to find, even in the 7/11’s. We have always been jealous of these, as they are so good. These are such a great grab and go snack. They also have a range of deli meats that are 100% Australian.
Prosciutto and cheese roll up $6 a pack.
- Prosciutto and cheese roll up 1g net carbs per pack
Cheese and olive snack pack
These are such a great idea. They can be found in the cold section where the cheese and crackers snack packs are. I absolutely love seeing these lower carb options popping up alongside the more carby option. These would be great for a low carb lunch box or for a work snack.
$2 for 1 pack
- Cheese and olive snack pack less than 1g net carb per pack
I will say there is not a great deal of cold drink options at Coles that are keto-friendly. If you are a kombucha fan, we recommend looking at the labels to find the best low carb option. We saw some that were 6-7g of carbs per serve. We also recommend checking the serving size per bottle, as some are 2 or 3 serves per bottle. I would definitely drink the whole bottle. So you have to watch out. I found one in our Coles called The Bucha Shop, which had good macros. We also love the probiotic sugar free soda pictured below.
- The Bucha Shop kombucha $4.10 per bottle
- Keep it Cleaner probiotic sugar free soda $4 per bottle
- The Bucha Shop Kombucha 2g net carbs per bottle
- Keep it Cleaner probiotic sugar free soda 0g per bottle
These are the best keto snacks at Coles that we were able to find. We are definitely sure we missed some, so please let us know in the comments below, what your favourite snacks are. We have loved putting together this keto snacks at Coles list. Keep an eye out for our Woolworths and Aldi versions coming soon.
If you like to do your Coles shopping online, click here to start ordering your keto snacks at Coles now.