Figuring out what foods work with a ketogenic lifestyle can be a little overwhelming for someone just starting out. We have put together some shopping tips to help you successfully navigate your first few trips to the supermarket.
- When checking a nutrition label, you want to try and keep the carbohydrate less than 5g per 100g.
- Most Australian nutrition labels already show the net carbs.
Ingredients to avoid
- Sugar in all its forms. Food producers use a lot of different names to try and sneak sugar into our foods. Check out the list below to help you work out if food has added sugar
- Transfats and highly processed vegetable oils such as; Margarine, Shortening, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Vegetable Oil, Sunflower Oil, Safflower Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Grapeseed Oil
- All grains
- It is easiest to avoid most processed food
- The best sweetener options to choose are Stevia, Erythritol and Xylitol
- Choose free-range or organic eggs where possible. We like these ones
- Choose fattier cuts of meat where possible, for example chicken wings or thighs over chicken breast
- When choosing animal products, we look for organic or grass-fed/pasture-raised to ensure the highest quality and nutritional value
- Sausages and prepared meats – check the ingredients and nutrition panel as they can include breadcrumbs and other fillers. Cleavers Meats is a great option that is available in most supermarkets in Australia
- Cured meats – these may contain small amounts of sugar due to the curing process. Again, check the ingredients and nutrition panel to ensure the carbohydrate and sugars are as low as possible
- The general rule is that vegetables that grow above the ground are the best options when eating low carb. Leafy greens are the best option
- The best fruit options are berries
- Lemons and fresh herbs are great for adding flavour
- Buy organic where possible
If you need more help with meal planning check out these awesome meal plans that makes things super simple.
Are there any tips you have that we may have missed? Let us know in the comments below.
- Keto Essentials: Kitchen Equipment
- Keto Essentials: Fridge
- Keto Essentials: Pantry
- Keto Essentials: Shopping Tips
Don't miss out!
Receive regular updates with exclusive content and deals