We didn’t cook a lot of chicken wings at home before we became keto, but these keto chicken wings have become a regular favourite of ours now. Given that I had never cooked them before we started keto I had to find the best way to get crispy skin without needing a deep fryer or air fryer which we don’t have. Enter these crispy, delicious oven baked chicken wings.
Keto Chicken Wings
Chicken wings are a great keto-friendly option. Not only are they super delicious, they also have a higher fat content than chicken breast. We like to include them in our meal plans each week and and just vary the spice mix to keep it interesting.
We prefer to bake our keto chicken wings in the oven as we don’t have a deep fryer. We also prefer a dry rub so we can get the chicken skin extra crispy and yummy, rather than a sauce. I have seen on instagram that air-fryers are all the rage for cooking chicken wings, so if you have one of those that may be the way to go.
I find you get the crispiest wings by placing them on a rack over an oven tray, so that the hot air can circulate around the whole wing. It also helps to coat the wings with a small amount of fat with the spice mix and then use a hot oven.
Our Favourite Seasoning Mixes
Finding good quality seasoning mixes can be a real game changer for your low carb meals. Having a tasty seasoning mix in the pantry can take some meat in the fridge to a delicious meal in minutes, so there are no excuses for ordering take away.
Make sure you check the ingredients on the packet to ensure there are no added sugars or fillers. Some options we like to keep in our pantry all the time are the Simply Organic Adobo Seasoning, Southwest Seasoning and Curry Powder.
For Aussies, Mingle Seasoning is also a great Australian brand, which is available at the Low Carb Emporium. They do not use any fillers or sugar in all their savoury spice mixes. Our favourites are the Sass, Sally and Sofia blends.
Try some of our other delicious keto meal recipes
- Creamy Roasted Chicken Thighs with Bacon & Leek
- Keto Broccoli & Cheese Soup
- Keto Spinach & Cheese Pie
- Pan-Fried Salmon with Curry Sauce
- Keto Curried Sausages
- Keto Poke Bowl
- Keto mac and cheese
- Keto Egg Salad
- Keto Pumpkin Soup – Curry & Coconut
- Keto Teriyaki Salmon
Serving Suggestions for Keto Chicken Wings
- We love to serve our wings with a side of jalapeno poppers, this meal feels like a real indulgence
- Everyone loves a dipping sauce with their chicken wings and you can’t go past our keto ranch dip
- A great family friendly feast would be keto chicken wings with our loaded cauliflower
- During our carnivore month we ate our chicken wings on their own as is!
Share your photos of your keto chicken wings on Facebook or Instagram and tag @havebutterwilltravel so we can check them out!
- Pre heat oven to 200C/390F
- Line a baking tray with foil and then place a cooling rack inside the baking tray
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil and the seasoning and stir till combined.
- Pat the chicken wing segments dry with some paper towel and place them in a large bowl
- Pour the seasoned olive oil over the chicken segments and toss until they are all completely coated. We find this is easiest using our hands.
- Place the wings on the rack over the tray, space them evenly so the air can circulate around them
- Place in the oven for 40 -45 mins until they are golden brown and the skin is crispy.
- Serve with your favourite keto dipping sauce
Nutrition Per Serve
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.