This cream cheese pasta is so simple and comes together in a flash. You can get a delicious dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes using very basic ingredients. You just need some butter, garlic, cream cheese, parmesan cheese and pasta, which, with the magic of some pasta cooking water transforms into a decadent cheesy, creamy spaghetti dinner. Perfect as is, or with the addition of some diced ham, shredded chicken or your favourite veggies. This cream cheese pasta recipe works well as a main dish for two people or can be used as a side dish for 4-6.
Easy pasta Alfredo recipe without cream
Who doesn’t love pasta Alfredo, it is so comforting and creamy. But what if you are craving a simple creamy pasta, but don’t have any cream? Enter this cream cheese pasta recipe! By whisking together the cream cheese and reserved pasta cooking water in this recipe, along with the other simple ingredients, the result is a creamy and tasty pasta sauce. Just stir your cooked pasta through the silky sauce for a satisfying yet simple meal.
What ingredients do you need to make cream cheese pasta?
In my opinion, the absolute beauty of this cream cheese pasta recipe is the fact that you may already have the ingredients on hand in your fridge and pantry. So it is perfect to have when the fridge is bare and you really don’t want to have to go grocery shopping. A few simple ingredients come together so quickly to make a delicious, creamy, cheesy pasta. Cooking the pasta takes longer than making the sauce!
For this cream cheese pasta recipe you will need;
- cream cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- pasta of your choice, we used spaghetti
Our favourite pasta recipes
What is not to love about good old pasta, it is the ultimate comfort food. Perfect at anytime of the year and usually pretty quick to throw together, as in this cream cheese pasta recipe. The beauty of pasta is it is so versatile. You can do a light summery pasta with garlic, olive oil, cherry tomatoes and prawns or a decadent creamy pasta with bacon and mushrooms.
Here are some of our other favourite pasta recipes;
- Creamy bacon zoodles
- Low carb carbonara
- Lasagne with hearts of palm
- Creamy pesto pasta
- Keto mac & cheese
Steps for making cream cheese pasta
Tips & Suggestions
- This cream cheese pasta is best served immediately, as it will thicken as it cools. If the pasta has been sitting for a while you may need to add some more pasta water to loosen it up.
- The pasta water is the key to making this sauce and it is very forgiving. If the sauce is too thick add some more of the reserved pasta water and stir to thin it down. If the sauce is too thin, simmer gently on low to thicken.
- This serving is a main dish for two servings or could be a side dish for 4-6 people.
- This cream cheese pasta dish is very versatile and could easily have some shredded ham, bacon, shredded chicken or steamed veggies added to it.
- To speed up the cooking process, try boiling your water in the kettle first, then add the boiled water to your cooking pot.
Make it Low Carb
- This sauce is low carb, so just serve it with your favourite low carb pasta. You could use zucchini noodles, Slendier bean pastas, konjac noodles. Check out our video reviewing low carb pasta options here. Boiling water and some salt to taste can be used in place of the pasta water if using zucchini noodles or konjac noodles.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
You may need –
Cream Cheese Pasta
If you are looking for a creamy, cheesy and delicious pasta dish then this simple cream cheese pasta recipe is for you! This dish really only takes as long as your pasta takes to cook, so can easily be on the table in 15-20 minutes. This dish is also perfect if your fridge is pretty bare and you want a quick meal, as it only uses a few ingredients that you may already have on hand. For our low carb followers, this sauce pairs just as well with low carb pasta alternatives also.
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
- Mexican Chicken Salad
- Mexican tuna salad
- Tuna Salad without Mayo
- Panko Chicken
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Lemon Chicken Marinade
- Mexican chicken marinade
- Smoked Chicken Salad
- Tandoori Chicken Salad
Cream Cheese Pasta
- 170 g pasta (6oz)
- 110 g cream cheese, cubed (4oz)
- 60 g parmesan cheese, finely grated (2oz)
- 30 g butter (1oz or 2 tbsp)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- fresh chopped chives or parsley to garnish
- salt, for salting the pasta water
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to the boil.
- Once the water is at a rolling boil, add the pasta and gently stir to break it up. Boil the pasta for as long as stated on the packet directions, this will vary depending on the pasta variety.
- Reserve at least 1 cup of the pasta cooking water to use in the sauce.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium heat and add the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the garlic and cook for approximately 1 minute. You don't want it to brown or burn as it will be bitter.
- Add the cream cheese and ¾ cup of the pasta cooking water to the frying pan or skillet. Using a whisk, stir the sauce to allow the cream cheese to dissolve and create a creamy sauce. It may seem like it won't come together initially, but be patient, it will.
- Once the cream cheese is dissolved, bring the sauce to a gentle simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and then add about ¾ of the parmesan cheese and the pepper and stir to combine.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add into the cream cheese sauce and stir to ensure it its all coated. If the sauce is too thick add some more of the reserved pasta water and stir to thin down. If the sauce is too thin, simmer gently on low to thicken.
- Serve the pasta immediately, sprinkled with the remainder of the parmesan cheese and fresh herbs to garnish.
Tips & Suggestions
- This cream cheese pasta is best served immediately, as it will thicken as it cools. If the pastas has been sitting for a while you may need to add some more pasta water to loosen it up.
- The pasta water is the key to making this sauce and it is very forgiving. If the sauce is too thick add some more of the reserved pasta water and stir to thin down. If the sauce is too thin, simmer gently on low to thicken.
- This serving is a main dish for two servings, or could be a side dish for 4-6 people.
- This cream cheese pasta dish is very versatile and could easily have some shredded ham, bacon, shredded chicken or steamed veggies aded to it.