We absolutely love our cheese sauce and are always looking for new ways of adding it to our meals. We have been seeing a lot of loaded cauliflowers on instagram recently and had a lightbulb moment. We could make a whole roasted loaded cauliflower topped with our delicious cheese sauce. As soon as we tried it, we knew we were onto a winner.
Whole roasted loaded cauliflower
Cauliflower is a popular low carb vegetable. At 5g total carbs per 100g it’s an excellent replacement for potato. You will find a lot of low carb substitutes use cauliflower. These include cauliflower rice, cauliflower pizza crust, cauliflower mash, cauliflower bake and now this loaded whole cauliflower.
Roasting a whole cauliflower
I had always been intrigued when I had come across whole roasted cauliflowers on Pinterest, but I had never tried one myself. A few weeks ago on Masterchef Australia they demonstrated a whole roasted cauliflower recipe, and I loved that they par-cooked the cauliflower first and then finished it off in the oven.
To me that seemed a more practical option, as it would prevent the cauliflower drying out in the oven, and would also speed up the roasting process. It worked out perfectly and I am sure you and your family will love this whole roasted loaded cauliflower as much as we did.
Who doesn’t love a loaded baked potato – all that cheese, bacon and sour cream and maybe a sprinkle of chives – Yum! Well potatoes are off the table for us, but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy all the other goodness of the of a loaded potato. Cream, bacon, cheese – perfect keto friendly options.
This is our version of a loaded baked cauliflower, topped with our delicious creamy cheese sauce and crispy bacon pieces. This is so good the whole family will love it, and it presents beautifully on the table for a special occasion or to take along to a family get together.
If you love cauliflower check out our keto leek and bacon cauliflower casserole, which is also a winner with the whole family.
We would love to see your delicious cauliflower creations, tag @havebutterwilltravel on Instagram or Twitter.
Check out our other delicious keto meal recipes –
- Mexican Chicken Salad
- Mexican tuna salad
- Tuna Salad without Mayo
- Panko Chicken
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Lemon Chicken Marinade
- Mexican chicken marinade
- Smoked Chicken Salad
- Roast Pumpkin Salad
- Tandoori Chicken Salad
- 1 Cauliflower, whole (2-3 lbs)
- 1 batch Keto Cheese Sauce
- 6 rashers Bacon (approx 6oz or 170g)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Adobo Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Fresh Chives
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F
- Remove the outer leaves and the stem from the cauliflower. Place it in a heatproof bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 8-10mins until it is tender. If you prefer not to use a microwave you could also steam it
- Meanwhile make a batch of the cheese sauce as per the recipe. set aside in a warm place
- Finely chop the bacon and cook in a frypan/skillet until it is crispy. Set aside in a warm place
- Finely chop the chives
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil and adobo seasoning
- Once the cauliflower is tender remove from the bowl and place it on an oven proof tray lined with non-stick paper
- Brush the olive oil mixture all over the outside of the cauliflower. I found this was easy with a pastry brush
- Place the cauliflower in the oven and cook until golden brown all over, approximately 30 mins
- Remove the cauliflower from the tray and place on your serving dish
- Pour over the cheese sauce and sprinkle with bacon and chives then serve. I have found this works best if the cheese sauce is just warm , not hot. It will heat up from the heat of the cauliflower anyway
Beautiful and delicious, we will make this again, again, and again!
It’s definitely a favourite here. Every non keto people like this.
Barbara B says
This was delicious, but I found the sauce was too much for us/drowned the cauliflower in sauce. I actually enjoy it most just roasted with no sauce, or very little. I’ve made it several times now. Would make a great presentation for company or a holiday.
Thanks Barbara, Glad you enjoyed it. We love the sauce with it. Can see it being just as good with less sauce too.