Are you a fan of the keto favourite – cheese shell tacos? If so, then this cheesy taco omelette will change your life. This taco omelette is the perfect combination of yummy egg, crispy cheese and mouthwatering Mexican flavours. This meal is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Keto Cheesy Taco Omelette
After discovering cheesy omelettes on Diet Doctor, we wanted to create a Mexican inspired cheesy omelette that would be prefect for anytime of the day. We love Mexican flavours here and were delighted with coming up with this tasty meal.
One of the keys to Mexican cooking are the herbs and spices. Some of the key herbs and spices are:
- Onions and garlic
- Chillies including chipotle and chilli powder
- Cacao powder
The base to this recipe was inspired by Jill’s Cheese Crusted Omelette from Diet Doctor. Diet Doctor is an amazing starting point for many people starting a low carb or ketogenic lifestyle, including us. We love this website and began our journey cooking many of their delicious recipes. This website is such an excellent resource for beginners and keto pros alike.
We were lucky enough to have our story featured on the Diet Doctor website. If you are interested in hearing more about our weight loss success story check it out here.
The cheese and egg combination as the base of the omelette works perfectly. The cheese offers some crunch when it’s cooked and the egg keeps the cheese from setting too hard.
Unfortunately, many store bought taco seasonings are going to have added sugar. Luckily for us, Maya from Wholesome Yum has a great sugar free taco seasoning that is really easy to make and tastes the same as the store bought options. We love to make up a double batch of this and keep it in a airtight container so we have some ready to go.
Struggle with lunch ideas? access our free ebook now
Breakfast, lunch and dinner
One of the best thing about omelettes is their flexibility. They are really quick and easy to make. This means they are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Once you master the omelette base the filling options are endless. We fell in love with this taco mince base and adding on Mexican toppings, but the fillings really are endless. Some great options are:
If Mexican flavours aren’t your favourite, get creative. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
The best thing about this cheesy taco omelette is you can be creative with your add on toppings. Use the beef, cheese, egg and taco seasoning as your base and then pick and choose your favourite add ons.
Some great Mexican flavour add ons you could use are:
- Avocado or home made guacamole
- Spanish onions (cooked or raw)
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Spring onions
We would love to see your cheesy taco omelette creations. Please feel free to tag us @havebutterwilltravel on instagram or facebook or comment below so we can see your awesome creations.
- Easy Tuna Patties – Keto and Low Carb
- Keto Chicken Bake – Bacon & Ranch
- Keto Cheesy Taco Omelette
- Keto Tuna Salad Lettuce Cups
- Crispy Slow Cooker Pork Belly
- Keto Prawn Cocktail
- Keto Chicken with Sage Burnt Butter and mushrooms
- Mexican Keto Chicken Pizza
- Tandoori Chicken Wings with Yoghurt Dipping Sauce
- Big Fat Keto Salad
Keto Basics Challenge
This cheesy taco omelette recipe is part of our keto basics challenge. On the 1st of January 2019 we launched our keto basics challenge. After Christmas we decided we needed a challenge to start the year off with a keto bang!
The keto basics challenge involves removing all sweeteners, low carb baking and just bringing our diet back to the good old keto basics. It is running for the month of January 2019.
Our free challenge includes:
- Downloadable food list
- Downloadable accountability calendar
- Downloadable measurement tracker
- Downloadable keto basics guidelines
- Access to the exclusive HBWT keto basics Facebook group
- Weekly live Q&A sessions
- Weekly emails with recipe suggestions
Don’t worry if you have missed the challenge! Sign up below to receive an email when we begin the challenge again.
- 100 g Beef Mince (Ground Beef) 4oz
- 0.5 tsp Taco Seasoning
- 2 Eggs
- 85 g Cheddar Cheese (Grated) 3oz
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat a small fry pan or skillet over a medium high heat, add the mince/ground beef and fry until meat is browned.
- Add the taco seasoning and continue to cook until the beef is cooked through. Set beef aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, salt and pepper.
- Heat a clean non-stick frying pan or skillet on a medium heat.
- Spread out the grated cheese into the bottom of the pan and cook until the cheese is bubbling.
- Gently pour the egg mixture over the cheese and cook on low for 2-3 minutes without stirring.
- Once the egg mixture is nearly set, sprinkle the meat mixture over half the omelette.
- Cook on low for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully fold the cheese and egg mixture side of the omelette over the top of the meat mixture side of the omelette and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until egg is set.
- Transfer to a plate and top with your favourite combination of Mexican toppings and serve.
Nutritional information does not include your favourite Mexican toppings.
NOTE: THIS IS BASED ON THE INGREDIENTS WE USED, NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION MAY VARY DEPENDING ON THE INGREDIENTS USED.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.