We love pork belly here at Have Butter will Travel and have always cooked it in the oven. This method proved to be a bit hit or miss for us. Sometimes the meat would be really tender and other times very chewy. One day, Erika decided to have a go at cooking slow cooker pork belly. This is now our preferred method.
Slow Cooker Pork Belly
Since the day Erika tried cooking the pork belly in the slow cooker we haven’t used the oven method to cook pork belly again. Every time we have cooked pork belly since we have used this method.
You may be thinking, that sounds great, but what about the crackling. We have that covered. To get the crackling, it goes in the oven once the meat is cooked and that gets a perfect crispy skin.
Using the Slow Cooker
I am so impressed with some of the awesome recipes that I have seen using the slow cooker. We are no longer limited to stews, soups and casseroles.
Here are some of our favourite recipes we LOVE to cook in our slow cooker;
- Bone Broth
- Satay Beef – This recipe is not a keto recipe, we just modify it slightly to make it keto.
- Massaman beef curry using Zest simmer sauce with stewing steak.
- Moroccan beef using Pete Evans simmer sauce
Here are some slow cooker recipes that I am looking forward to trying soon;
- Garlic chipotle lime chicken from Beauty and the Foodie
- Keto gumbo from Fit Mom Journey
- Zucchini bread from All Day I Dream about Food
- Low carb chocolate cake from All Day I Dream about Food
I love that you can even make a cake in the slow cooker!
Pork belly has grown to popularity after being a popular cut of meat on cooking shows like Masterchef. It is the delicious fatty cut of pork that is from the underbelly of the pig. It is usually boneless and most famous for crackling. If you can get the crackling right, it will make your pork belly experience all the better.
Pork belly is an extremely popular popular cut of meat for keto. It’s popular due to it’s fattiness from the belly. It’s also a popular bacon cut as well. We always look for the fattiest bacon and a good amount of fat in our pork belly.
Struggle with lunch ideas? access our free ebook now
Keto Basics Challenge
This slow cooker pork belly recipe is part of our keto basics challenge. On the 1st of January 2019 we launched our keto basics challenge. After Christmas we decided we needed a challenge to start the year off with a keto bang!
The keto basics challenge involves removing all sweeteners, low carb baking and just bringing our diet back to the good old keto basics. It is running for the month of January 2019.
Our free challenge includes:
- Downloadable food list
- Downloadable accountability calendar
- Downloadable measurement tracker
- Downloadable keto basics guidelines
- Access to the exclusive HBWT keto basics Facebook group
- Weekly live Q&A sessions
- Weekly emails with recipe suggestions
Don’t worry if you have missed the challenge! Sign up below to receive an email when we begin the challenge again.
- Porcini Meatball Stroganoff
- Keto Sausage tray bake
- Keto Laksa – Chicken
- Keto Osso Bucco Stew
- Creamy Bacon Noodles
- Keto Cauliflower Soup with smoky bacon flavours
- Keto Chicken Tenders – Sesame crusted
- Keto Chicken Burgers – Zucchini and Halloumi
- Keto Taco Salad
- Keto Quiche Recipe – Chicken and Asparagus
What is your favourite recipe to cook in the slow cooker? Let us know in the comments below.
- 1 kg (approx) Pork Belly (1 large piece, skin scored) (2.2lb)
- 1 cup Bone Broth
- 1-2 cloves Garlic (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- Place the bone broth and whole garlic cloves in the bottom of your slow cooker bowl. The garlic cloves are just for flavouring the meat while cooking and are optional.
- Liberally season the underside of the pork belly with salt and pepper and then place in the slow cooker skin side up. You want to make sure the pork belly is not completely submerged in the liquid, just about 3/4 of the way up the side. This will depend on the size and shape of your pork belly and slow cooker
- Cook on the low setting for 4 hours or until the pork belly meat is very tender and nearly falling apart
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
- Carefully remove the pork belly from the slow cooker and place in a shallow baking dish or rimmed baking try skin side up
- Dry the skin well with a paper towel and then season liberally with salt
- Bake in the oven for 45-60mins or until the skin is golden brown and crispy all over
- Remove from the oven and cover loosely with foil for 5-10 mins to rest
- Slice and serve
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.