If you are looking for something a little different to a traditional roast pumpkin salad, then this is the recipe for you! We serve our roast pumpkin salad on a bed of creamy feta sauce which is an absolute show-stopper. The creamy texture and delicious flavour of the feta sauce paired with the roasted pumpkin and onions with the fresh rocket leaves make for a winner of a salad.
Delicious salad recipes
Once the weather heats up (or any time of year really!) we love a good salad. They are the perfect side dish to have with grilled meats, seafood or chicken especially if it is cooked on the BBQ. We do like to make sure our salads are delicious by using a range of flavours and textures.
We like to use a combination of fresh vegetables, roasted vegetables, nuts and seeds, cheeses and flavour-packed dressings/sauces to make sure our homemade salads are tasty and satisfying. We love the combination in this recipe of sweet roasted pumpkin and onions with the creamy feta sauce and peppery rocket in this roast pumpkin salad.
Here are some of our favourite salad recipes,
Creamy Feta Sauce
We absolutely LOVE the creamy feta sauce in this recipe and have even used it as a dip – it is that good! To make the sauce you only need four ingredients; feta cheese, Greek yoghurt, garlic and dried chilli flakes. This sauce is slightly less salty than crumbling plain feta cheese into your salad, but it is also much more flavourful. Have we convinced you to give this roast butternut squash salad with creamy feta sauce a go?
SUMMER SALADS IN NOVEMBER
This month (November 2022), we are talking all things summer salads! We will be sharing our favourite recipes, tips & tricks, ingredients and kitchen equipment on our Facebook page across November to help you create delicious, easy summer salads at home.
We also send out monthly exclusive recipes for our email subscribers, make sure you sign up for our email newsletter below so you don’t miss out on the exclusive recipes.
Steps for making roast pumpkin salad
- The pumpkin can be served warm, room temperature, or cold depending on your preference.
- It is best to assemble the salad just prior to serving. You can roast the pumpkin and onions in advance as well as the creamy feta sauce.
- Once the roasted pumpkin salad is assembled it is best eaten on the day as the leaves will start to wilt and deteriorate.
- You could use any pumpkin variety you prefer or are able to find, we prefer to use butternut pumpkin.
- You can use mixed leaves or baby spinach in place of the rocket (arugula) if you prefer. We love the peppery rocket flavour in this roast pumpkin salad.
- This roasted pumpkin salad would be extra delicious with some toasted pinenuts or toasted slivered almonds if you wanted to make it extra fancy!
Make it low carb
- This recipe is naturally low carb. If you would like to reduce the carbohydrates further, you could use a different vegetable for roasting, like zucchini or cauliflower. You would just need to adjust the roasting time accordingly.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
You may need –
Roast Pumpkin Salad with Creamy Feta Sauce
Sweet roasted pumpkin and onions, a creamy feta sauce and peppery rocket leaves – what more could you want in a roast pumpkin salad! Using simple ingredients, this salad is perfect for entertaining or taking to a family BBQ get together. Trust us, your family and friends will love this one as much as we do. You can make the creamy feta sauce and roast the pumpkin & onions ahead of time, then it will just take a few minutes to assemble the salad.
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- Smoked Chicken Salad
- Roast Pumpkin Salad
- Tandoori Chicken Salad
- Beef Rissoles – Veggie Packed
- Beef Satay Recipe
- Creamy Mustard Chicken
- Baked Eggplant
- Mexican Chicken Bake
- Oven-baked curry meatballs
- Chicken couscous soup
Creamy Feta Sauce
- 100 g creamy feta cheese (Danish style)
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 120 g rocket leaves (arugula)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F and line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Chop the butternut pumpkin up into approximately 2cm cubes. Removing the skin and seeds.
- Peel and chop the onions up into approximately 2cm cubes.
- Spread the pumpkin and onions pieces out on the baking tray. Drizzle with the olive oil and seasonings.
- Toss the veggies together and then spread out in an even layer.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, until the pumpkin is cooked through and starting to brown.
- Once it is cooked, remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly for 5-10 minutes.
Creamy Feta Sauce
- While the pumpkin is in the oven make the creamy feta sauce. Add all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend together until it is a smooth and creamy consistency.
- In a large bowl toss together the slightly cooled pumpkin and onions with the rocket leaves, to coat the rocket leaves.
- On a large plate, spread a layer of the creamy feta sauce to completely cover the plate, using all the sauce.
- Place the pumpkin and rocket mixture on top of the creamy feta sauce. You may need to pile it up depending on the size of your plate.