Pizza is one of those foods that you think will be gone forever when you embark on your ketogenic journey. I know I did. When we started out we had no idea about fat head dough. I am so glad we found it. Pizza is one of my favourite foods and this keto chicken pizza is one of my favourites.
Keto Chicken Pizza
What I love about this keto chicken pizza are the Mexican flavours and it’s versatility. You can get creative with your favourite Mexican toppings and make it suit your taste buds. We love to load it up with sour cream and coriander (cilantro) as we love those flavours. Erika would load it up with lots of jalapeños if I wasn’t having it too, as she likes it spicier than me.
Fat Head dough
If this is the first time you have been hearing about fat head dough, let me tell you this stuff is magical. Tom Naughton, the creator behind the Fat Head the movie, also created fat head dough. If you haven’t seen the movie yet, do yourself a favour and check it out here.
One of the great things about keto is that so many creative people have found ways to ketofy all our favourite carb filled foods. Well, most, I am yet to see anyone recreate a croissant! The fat head dough has been used to create some of these ketofied dishes. These include; keto bagels, cinnamon scrolls, sausage rolls, danishes and of course, PIZZA.
It is made using cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg and almond flour. There are many different variations of the original recipe around. This is our preferred recipe.
The chicken you decide to use for this recipe is up to you. We love to buy a BBQ (rotisserie) chicken from the supermarket and pull the meat off and shred it. We will often have some shredded chicken in the freezer to use for a quick meal like this during the week.
You can always roast your own chicken and pull and shred the meat off. This is a great option if you want to control the ingredients and keep the meat more moist. Sometimes the pre-cooked BBQ chickens from the supermarket are on the dry side. I would recommend doing a couple at once and storing some in the freezer.
If you are someone that prefers a particular cut of chicken meat like breast or thigh. You could bake some in the oven and slice or shred.
Another quick pre-cooked chicken option we like is smoked chicken. If you like the flavour of smoked chicken, this would work perfectly in this recipe.
This keto chicken pizza uses some of our favourite Mexican flavours. We love avocado, sour cream, cheese, jalapeños and coriander (cilantro). We often use all of these ingredients to top our favourite Mexican dishes like our chilli.
The taco seasoning from Maya at Wholesome Yum uses all of the delicious Mexican spices like cumin, chilli, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. We love to make up a double batch of this and have it stored in the pantry. We just pop all the ingredients into a jar, shake to mix and it’s ready to go.
What are your favourite topping for our keto chicken pizza? What Mexican toppings do you like? Let us know in the comments below.
Try some of our other delicious keto meal recipes
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Lemon Chicken Marinade
- Mexican chicken marinade
- Smoked Chicken Salad
- Roast Pumpkin Salad
- Tandoori Chicken Salad
- Beef Rissoles – Veggie Packed
- Beef Satay Recipe
- Creamy Mustard Chicken
- Baked Eggplant
- Corriander (Cilantro)
- Hot Sauce
- Sour Cream
- Prepare the pizza base as per the directions here. Just remember this recipe makes 2 bases. We like to cook both and store one in the freezer for a quick weeknight dinner.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Roll out the pizza dough between 2 sheets of baking paper, using a rolling pin. Roll to your desired thickness. We like to roll it thin, to get a crispier base. (We used these baking mats to roll ours out.
- Place rolled out dough on a fresh piece of baking paper and put on a baking tray and place in oven.
- Bake base in oven for 5 minutes or until the edges are starting to brown slightly. Then remove from oven and flip base over and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the edges are browning slightly.
- Whilst the base cooks, combine shredded chicken, taco seasoning and sour cream in a bowl until mixed through.
- Once base is cooked, remove from oven and spread chicken mixture over the base. Top with grated cheese.
- Place pizza back in oven and bake for a further 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
- Once pizza is cooked, remove from oven and top with avocado, jalapenos and cherry tomatoes.
- To garnish, drizzle hot sauce and sour cream over the top of the pizza and sprinkle with coriander/cilantro.
- Cut pizza into 4 pieces and serve. (This means 2 pieces per serve)
Nutritional facts does not include the garnish items.
NOTE: THIS IS BASED ON THE INGREDIENTS WE USED, NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION MAY VARY DEPENDING ON THE INGREDIENTS USED.
Nutrition Per Serve
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.