What more could you want from a Mexican chicken bake – cheesy, packed with flavour and all cooked in one pan! Your family will love this delicious chicken bake as a weeknight dinner. It is packed with yummy roasted veggies, beans, chicken and did we mention melted cheese? Any meal that can be cooked all in one dish, and in the oven is a winner with us as it means less time at the stove top and less washing up. Give this Mexican chicken bake recipe a try this week, we know you will love it as much as we do.
Easy weeknight chicken recipes
We love that this Mexican chicken bake is an easy weeknight recipe that is also packed with flavour. Chicken would have to be one of the most popular proteins to have for a weeknight dinner, and it is so succulent and tasty in this cheesy chicken bake. We love that this recipe is made all in the one pan, so it makes an easy weeknight dinner with only a few dishes to wash up.
WINTER WARMER RECIPES
Our theme in August is winter warmers! We will be sharing our favourite recipes, tips & tricks, ingredients and kitchen equipment on our Facebook page across August to help you create delicious, warming recipes at home. Make sure you are following along so you don’t miss out!
Here are our recipes from the last three weeks –
Mexican Black Beans
We used Mexican style black beans as part of the sauce in this cheesy Mexican chicken bake recipe. There are a few options that we have found at our local supermarket. Just be aware that these black beans are flavoured in a seasoned sauce, they are not just plain black beans canned in brine. You also want to include the seasoned sauce in the dish, there is no need to drain these beans.
We have been able to find them in the Mexican or International aisle at the supermarket. You will see the ingredients are usually black beans and then some spices and other seasonings.
Our favourite Mexican style recipes
We love Mexican flavours and what is not to love about cheese, avocado and sour cream! Here are some of our favourite recipes using Mexican seasonings.
- If you would like your Mexican chicken bake to be spicy you can keep the seeds in the jalapeños, or deseed half and keep the seeds in half for a moderate level of spice.
- If you are having trouble finding the La Costena Chipotle Sauce, you can use the La Costena Chipotle in Adobo Sauce instead. Just make sure if there are any dried chillies in the sauce that you chop them up prior to adding it to the baking dish.
- We like to serve this Mexican chicken bake with rice or cauliflower rice and a dollop of sour cream. It would also be delicious served with a side salad and some avocado slices or homemade guacamole.
- We like to use the Mexican style grated cheese from the supermarket, which is a blend of mozzarella, red cheddar and colby specially designed for a quick melt with a mild flavour.
Make it low carb
- This recipe is already relatively low carb. To keep it low carb, we would suggest serving the Mexican chicken bake with cauliflower rice or a salad.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
You may need –
Mexican Chicken Bake Recipe
Cheesy and packed with beans and veggies, this Mexican chicken bake will be a real crowd pleaser at your next family dinner. Served with some rice, sour cream and fresh coriander leaves, it is a pretty hands off dinner to get onto the table with the oven doing most of the work. Roasting the veggies yourself, rather than using a store bought salsa gives a delicious flavour. Make sure you add this chicken bake recipe to your family’s menu this week.
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- Mexican Chicken Salad
- Mexican tuna salad
- Tuna Salad without Mayo
- Panko Chicken
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Lemon Chicken Marinade
- Mexican chicken marinade
- Smoked Chicken Salad
- Roast Pumpkin Salad
- Tandoori Chicken Salad
- 1 brown onion
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 yellow capsicum
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 fresh jalapeños, sliced & deseeded
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ tsp salt
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp La Costena Chipotle sauce
- 400-450 g Mexican style black beans
- 600 g chicken tenderloins
- 300 g grated cheese
- coriander leaves
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 220C/430F.
- Chop the onion and capsicums into chunks, approximately 2cm squares.
- In a large baking dish, add the onion, capsicum, garlic, jalapeños, tomatoes, salt and a drizzle of oil and toss together.
- Roast the vegetables for 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. We want the vegetables to char as this is adding to the flavour of the dish, so don't worry that they are burning.
- After 30 minutes, remove the baking dish from the oven and lower the temperature to 180C/375F.
- Mash the vegetables in the baking dish together using a fork or potato masher to break them down. We want the consistency to be like a chunky style salsa.
- Add the chipotle sauce and Mexican-style black beans (and any liquid from the can) to the baking dish and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken tenderloins to the baking dish in an even layer and nestle them in the sauce, not on top.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of fresh coriander leaves, sour cream and avocado and your preferred side dish.
Well explained recipe and super tasty meal. ❤️
I need to make this again, it is so tasty isn’t it.
Great family recipe
Sure is! We love this one too. Thanks Sue
This recipe is absolutely delicious.
Thank you so much.