This delicious low carb Christmas pudding is a guest post from one of our favourite keto chefs, Ketogenic Cooking School. Christmas pudding is difficult to create a low carb version, as dried fruit are usually to high in carbs and sugar. We love this low carb pudding as it substitutes the dried fruit with fresh or frozen cranberries. The walnuts and cranberries are a perfect festive combination for this pudding.
Keto cooking school – Chef Taffiny Elrod
We were lucky enough to meet Chef Elrod at Ketofest 2018. She is truly a genius in the kitchen and we feel so lucky to be able to share this low carb Christmas pudding recipe with you all. Over to Chef Elrod.
I am a professional chef and culinary instructor. I created Keto Cooking School to share my passion for Classic Cooking Techniques, Traditional Food, Ketogenic, and Low-Carb High-Fat recipes.
I also run a restaurant full time with my husband so Keto Cooking School is still a work in progress. I hope you find my recipes helpful, enjoyable, and delicious.
Low Carb Christmas Pudding
This recipe is based on one of my favorite holiday pies. I love the tartness of the cranberries and the earthiness of the walnuts in contrast to the sweet custard. It really hits all the marks for me.
It has so much going for it that I don’t think it needs a crust at all. Baking it in small ramekins makes for a dessert that’s festive and easy to serve if you are entertaining.
The spiced eggnog cream adds another layer of holiday cheer rounding out the layers and textures even more. A small cup of strong, hot coffee is the perfect accompaniment to this dessert.
Keto Christmas Desserts
Christmas is the time of year where we like to treat ourselves. What better way than making some keto Christmas desserts. We love to recommend taking dessert along to your Christmas family get togethers, so you can enjoy a delicious keto dessert and enjoy the celebration with your family and friends.
Some of our favourite Christmas desserts to try this year:
We love to use Sukrin sweeteners in our keto baking and these cranberry puddings. We have tried loads of the sweeteners available on the market and have found this to be the best tasting option with no bitter after taste. Our family and friends, who are not keto, love our keto baking too when it is made with Sukrin. Also, it is made with our preferred sweeteners, a combination of stevia glycosides and erythritol.
Australians! Don’t worry, the Sukrin products are available for us too. If you are interested check out Sukrin Australia.
Our favourites from the Sukrin products are;
- Sukrin 1 – which substitutes one for one for white sugar
- Sukrin Gold – which substitutes one for one for brown sugar
- Sukrin Melis – which substitutes one for one for icing or powdered sugar
- Sukrin Gold Fibre Syrup – this reminds me of golden syrup that we use in baking in Australia. It tastes delicious and is great for making any caramel recipes
Pudding - Cranberry and Walnut
Pudding - Cranberry and Walnut
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F
- Butter four 8-ounce (1 cup), oven safe ramekins or small bowls and set them on a baking sheet
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs well, mix in melted butter, granulated sweetener, syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Whisk together until fully combined.
- Stir in cranberries and walnuts
- Divide the mixture among the buttered ramekins
- Place the ramekins on the baking sheet in the middle rack of the oven
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the puddings are puffed up around the edges and set but the centre still has a very slight jiggle. Allow them to cool completely before serving.
- If you would like to serve them warm just heat them in a low oven for about 10 minutes.
- To serve, top with a generous dollop of the spiced mascarpone cream and garnish with a light dusting of freshly grated nutmeg if desired.
Spiced Mascarpone Cream
- In a medium mixing bowl whip together the mascarpone, sweetener, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- When the mixture is fully blended and creamy add the heavy whipping cream and whisk or beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Serve the cream with the pudding.
Nutrition Per Serve