When Erika first suggested trying kombucha marinated chicken thighs, I thought she was crazy. I had never heard of the concept of using kombucha as a marinade before. She explained that she thought the acid from the kombucha would be a perfect way of tenderising the chicken. I was dubious before I tasted it. After taking my first bite, I was converted. The chicken was so tender and moist. The flavour that was added to the chicken from the ginger, lemon and tamari was amazing.
Kombucha marinated chicken thighs
This kombucha marinated chicken thighs recipe is an excellent keto dinner choice. Paired with some Asian greens or an Asian salad, this dish will even satisfy your non keto family and friends.
We have enjoyed these chicken thighs served cold as leftovers for lunch the next day. You can even cook a double batch so you have plenty to take to work for lunches during the week.
Kombucha is a drink made from fermenting tea, bacteria and sugar. This kombucha tea dates back 2000 years in Ancient China, where it was used as a remedy for inflammatory ailments such as arthritis and thought to ward off cancer.
Kombucha has some great health benefits including:
- A source of Probiotics
- A source of Antioxidants
- Great for your gut health
Is kombucha considered keto friendly? It does include sugar but most of the sugar is eaten by the bacteria in the fermentation process. When looking for a good kombucha we would recommend looking for one with the least amount of sugar.
Our favourite Kombuchas are these:
- Remedy kombucha – We love this kombucha for it’s flavour and that it is sweetened with stevia and erythritol. It is also available in Australia and in many Australian supermarkets.
- Mojo classic kombucha – The carb count on this product is high but it’s important to keep in mind that the sugar is consumed in the fermentation process.
- Nexba kombucha – We love the nexba products and this kombucha has delicious flavour.
- This recipe works best if you prepare the chicken and the marinade the night before and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight to enhance the flavour. If you don’t have much time, marinate for as long as you can before cooking.
- Any flavour kombucha will work if you want to experiment with mixing up the flavours.
This kombucha marinated chicken will be delicious served with an Asian salad or some Asain greens. Check these great sides to pair with this dish:
- Keto Chinese cabbage salad
- Keto Asian noodle salad
- Low carb Asian Salad
- Low carb Asian Slaw
- Keto Asian greens
- Keto Asian green beans
- Easy Chinese broccoli stir fry
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
You may need –
- Baking tray
Kombucha marinated chicken thighs
This kombucha marinated chicken recipe is packed full of Asian flavours, with the ginger, lemon, garlic and tamari. These flavours are delicious and the kombucha tenderises the chicken and creates a moist and tender chicken thigh.
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
- Mexican Chicken Salad
- Mexican tuna salad
- Tuna Salad without Mayo
- Panko Chicken
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Lemon Chicken Marinade
- Mexican chicken marinade
- Smoked Chicken Salad
- Tandoori Chicken Salad
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large bowl and mix
- Add the chicken to the marinade. Cover and place in the fridge for 12-24 hours to marinade
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F
- Remove the chicken from the fridge, drain and then pat dry with paper towel. Place chicken on a rimmed baking tray or oven proof dish skin side up in a single layer
- Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is golden brown and crispy
- Serve the roasted chicken thighs with your favourite Asian inspired low carb side dish