You can’t beat a home made custard. The main ingredients in a keto custard recipe are eggs and cream, so it is basically a fat bomb. We love some of this keto custard with a couple of blueberries sprinkled on top for a snack or drizzled on top of your favourite keto dessert.
When we first started out on a ketogenic diet this custard was a staple in our house. I love a serving of it after dinner for a yummy as well as super filling dessert. This custard is great on it’s own and can also be used in any recipe using custard like our Tropical Trifle or Raspberry Trifle.
Tips for making keto custard
Once you get the hang of making keto custard it is pretty easy, but you do need to be careful with the heat of your cooktop. After you combine the eggs and the cream mixture and put it back on the heat you don’t want it to cook too quickly, as the eggs will scramble. Just take your time, keep it on medium low and stir away. A little bit of patience is required, but it will be worth it once you taste the end result.
You will be left with some egg whites after you make the keto custard, so what can you do with them? Well they can be stored in the fridge for a few days and also frozen. One of my favourite ways to use them is to make some coconut macaroons. The recipe for the macaroons can be found in our tropical trifle recipe.
Serving Suggestions for Keto Custard
- With some fresh blueberries or raspberries
- Sprinkled with our Nut & Seed Granola
- Straight out of the bowl!
- Add some to your coffee – trust me on this one!
- As part of our Raspberry Trifle or Tropical Trifle
We love to use Sukrin sweeteners in our keto baking and this keto custard. We have tried loads of the sweeteners available on the market and have found this to be the best tasting option with no bitter after taste. Our family and friends, who are not keto, love our keto baking too when it is made with Sukrin. Also, it is made with our preferred sweeteners, a combination of stevia glycosides and erythritol.
Australians! Don’t worry, the Sukrin products are available for us too. If you are interested check out Sukrin Australia.
Our favourites from the Sukrin products are;
- Sukrin 1 – which substitutes one for one for white sugar
- Sukrin Gold – which substitutes one for one for brown sugar
- Sukrin Melis – which substitutes one for one for icing or powdered sugar
- Sukrin Gold Fibre Syrup – this reminds me of golden syrup that we use in baking in Australia. It tastes delicious and is great for making any caramel recipes
Tag @havebutterwilltravel on Instagram with your keto custard photos as we would love to see your creations!
Check out other delicious dessert and sweets recipes.
- Keto Panna Cotta – Chai flavour
- Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins
- Keto Egg Loaf – Blueberry & Lemon
- White Chocolate Keto Fat Bomb
- Keto Whoopie Pies
- Keto Tiramisu
- Black Forest Keto Chia Parfait
- Choc Mint Slice – Keto Choc Mint Fat Bomb
- Sugar Free Blueberry Tart – Low Carb Dessert
- Low Carb Christmas Pudding – Cranberry & Walnut with Mascarpone Cream
Struggle with lunch ideas? access our free ebook now
- Slice the vanilla bean in half and scrape the seeds out of each side of the bean with the back of your knife
- Add vanilla bean, seeds, salt and cream to a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat stirring occasionally until just boiling, then take off the heat
- Meanwhile whisk together the egg yolks and sweetener in a small bowl until combined
- Slowly pour the hot cream mixture over the egg yolks, whisking continuously
- Return the mixture to a clean saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon
- Remove from the heat and strain to remove the vanilla pod and any lumps
NOTE: THIS IS BASED ON THE INGREDIENTS WE USED, NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION MAY VARY DEPENDING ON THE INGREDIENTS USED.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.