Christmas and the holiday season is well and truly upon us. We have been thinking and preparing for Christmas for the past couple of weeks and we are super excited about this keto turkey roast recipe. Whether you have a Turkey for thanksgiving or Christmas or maybe even both you will love this roast turkey with cherry sauce recipe.
This is a sponsored post by Low Carb Emporium, Australia’s leading online shop for our favourite keto friendly products. All products recommended in this post are based on our personal favourites.
Christmas Roast Turkey
A roast turkey is one of those dishes that becomes the centrepiece at Christmas. The perfect Christmas keto turkey would have crispy skin and moist and tender breast meat. Our favourite way to keep the breast meat moist is to smoother the turkey in butter before roasting. Of course, our name is Have Butter will Travel after all.
We much prefer to use a buffe instead of a whole turkey. It makes for a much faster cook time and is very easy to cook and prep. The buffe we used is the breasts and the wings of the turkey.
It has long been English tradition to eat turkey on Christmas day and American tradition to eat turkey at thanksgiving. As Australians, we would eat turkey on Christmas day due to our English convict heritage. We have adapted our own way though and we tend to serve it cold. This is due to the extremely high summer temperatures that we usually experience on Christmas day.
Due to turkey being such a popular celebration meal we wanted to create our own keto turkey roast. Erika wanted to add her own spin with a cherry sauce using the pan juices and the delicious sugar free cherry jam from Low Carb Emporium. This keto turkey roast recipe will become the perfect addition to your Christmas table.
Sugar Free Cherry Jam
We first found these jams when we were on a weekend away in Launceston and we went and checked out Evandale Sunday markets. You could imagine our excitement when we saw a whole range of sugar free jams, sweetened using xylitol.
I am a big fan of cherries at Christmas and was really excited when Erika created this cherry sauce using the sugar free cherry jam from Hawthorne hills farms. We love their jams and the cherry is one of our favourites.
They have sugar free varieties of the following jams:
- Rhubarb and Apple
- Mixed berry
- Orange and Lemon Marmalade
- Lemon and Lime Marmalade
We buy these jams from Low Carb Emporium.
We loves these jams so much we have created several delicious recipes using them including:
- Keto baked camembert using apricot jam
- Black forest parfait using cherry jam
- Keto slice using mixed berry jam
- Black forest trifle using cherry jam
- Keto whoopie pies using cherry jam
LOW CARB EMPORIUM
Low Carb Emporium is the premium online low carb website in Australia. They launched in October 2017 and have grown to be the stockists of the best low carb products Australia has to offer. We love Low Carb Emporium and place an order with them every couple of months. Although at the moment it feels like we are ordering more like every couple of weeks.
Jack and Yvonne have gone from shipping products out of their garage to now needing a warehouse to distribute all our favourite products. We were lucky enough to be invited to check out their new premises and were impressed by all the wonderful products they have in stock now.
For this recipe you can purchase the below ingredients from Low Carb Emporium using our code for a discount – HAVEBUTTER5
- If using a frozen turkey, you will need to give yourself enough time to defrost it in the fridge. It is recommended that the safest method is to defrost in the fridge and this can take some time, depending on the size of your turkey. We used a 3kg turkey and it took 2 days to defrost properly in the fridge. So, make sure you buy your turkey ahead of time if you are buying it frozen.
- When we were buying ours, Woolworths had 3 sizes, 3kg, 4kg and 5kg buffes. We used a 3kg for this recipe. If you have a large group coming for the Christmas meal, you can adapt this recipe for a larger turkey. Just keep in mind the cook times will vary.
- We used a spoon to baste our turkey, if you have a turkey baster this works well also.
- If you decide to cook the keto turkey ahead of time and serve at room temperature or cold, carve and store in the fridge. The sauce will reheat well in a pan on the day. When stored in the fridge, the sauce may have the fat on top. When reheating, reheat on a medium heat and stir to combine the fat with the rest of the sauce. The onions will also reheat well, place in a baking dish and heat in a 180C oven until heated through.
- Serve the turkey and the sauce hot. The turkey is great to use a big centrepiece for the table.
- You can serve at room temperature and reheat the sauce in a pan before serving. If serving cold or at room temperature you could make ahead a day or two before and serve it carved on your favourite decorative plate.
- If serving the turkey cold, warm up the onions in the oven and serve as a side dish.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
You may need –
Keto Roast Turkey with Cherry Sauce
Keto roast turkey is the perfect centrepiece for your table this Christmas. The cherry sauce adds a delicious twist to the classic gravy, using the sweetness of the cherry jam and the richness and creaminess of the butter. The deliciously buttery onions become the perfect as a side dish.
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- Keto Spiced Nuts
- Keto White Christmas
- Keto Christmas Desserts All The Family Will Love
- Keto Turkey Roast with Cherry Sauce
- Keto Fruit Mince Scrolls
- Keto Grazing Platter
- Roasted Capsicum Dip
- Australian Keto Christmas Recipes
- Sugar Free Blueberry Tart – Low Carb Dessert
- Keto Christmas Menu – What’s on our table for Christmas 2018!
- Pre heat the oven to 180C/350F
- In a small bowl, place the softened butter, lemon zest, salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme and mash butter with a fork until all the ingredients are combined.