Tuna mornay is a retro classic. We remember growing up having this with our families. This keto tuna mornay will have you reminiscing the good old days. This keto tuna casserole recipe would be great for low carb families, as it is an excellent kid-friendly option.
Keto Tuna Mornay
Both Erika and I were brought up on our own family versions of tuna mornay. Our family had this dish called crusty tuna rice. It was similar to tuna mornay but it has a breadcrumb topping and cooked rice mixed through the tuna and cheese sauce mixture. It was definitely a theme in my family, double carb everything! I was really happy when Erika made this version of keto tuna mornay as it reminded me of my childhood and it is also super delicious.
This keto tuna casserole recipe has become a big favourite with our friends and family. Erika’s mum likes to make it for us when we come to visit. We recently moved back to Newcastle and had to live with them for a few weeks and we ate this keto tuna mornay about once a week. I also love to take any leftovers for lunch the next day.
My mum has also made this keto tuna casserole recipe a few times and raves about it to anyone that will listen. A perfect low carb recipe that is family and kid friendly.
Tuna Mornay versus Tuna casserole
We have learnt so much since starting our keto way of life and one of the things we have had to get used to is the Australian versus American names for things. To Australians a casserole is a slow cooked stew consisting of some sort of protein like beef and a gravy type sauce. It took as a while to realise casserole in North America is a oven baked dish that has more of a creamy, cheesy or egg base.
If you are from North America and a little confused by keto tuna mornay, it is essentially a keto tuna casserole. Just by a different is the name!
Tuna and our cats
Our two rescue cats, Scout & Gem, love their tinned fish. As soon as we open a can they emerge from wherever they are sleeping at record speed. So I shouldn’t really be surprised that when I was trying to photograph our yummy keto tuna mornay for the website and turned my back for 2 seconds it ended badly.
So please note: Don’t leave unattended with keto kitties around!
- If you prefer you could swap the broccoli to cauliflower or another vegetable you have on hand. We like it with a combination of broccoli and cauliflower.
- Try to purchase tuna in spring water or plain olive oil to avoid any inflammatory vegetable oils. Tinned salmon would work well in this too if you have that available instead.
- You can find our super quick and easy Keto Cheese Sauce recipe here.
- The best thing about this keto tuna mornay is that there is no need to serve it with a side. It is a full meal all in one.
- This keto tuna mornay is a perfect family-friendly meal and even your non-keto family will love it.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
You may need –
Keto Tuna Mornay
One of the things I love about this recipe is it’s my favourite way to eat tinned tuna. We definitely don’t eat enough seafood in our diet and this keto tuna mornay is my favourite. It’s so delicious as it uses the best cheese sauce recipe on the internet! This cheese sauce recipe is simple to make and is the key to the flavour and creaminess of this keto tuna mornay recipe. Once you have the cheese sauce made it is as simple as putting it all in a baking dish and topping with cheese and baking in the oven.
Let us know in the comments below how much you and your family loved this recipe!
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- Keto mac and cheese
- Keto Egg Salad
- Keto Pumpkin Soup – Curry & Coconut
- Keto Teriyaki Salmon
- Keto Creamy Pesto Pasta
- Easy Keto Lasagne
- 18 of the Best Keto Soup Recipes
- Keto Chicken Soup
- Keto Taco Casserole
- Easy Keto Dinner Recipes
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F
- Steam broccoli florets until just tender, don't overcook as they will cook a little more in the oven
- Arrange broccoli in an oven-proof dish, sprinkle over tuna evenly. Pour over the prepared cheese sauce and sprinkle with grated cheese
- Bake for 15-20 mins until golden on top and bubbling. Allow to cool for 5 mins before serving
NOTE: THIS IS BASED ON THE INGREDIENTS WE USED, NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION MAY VARY DEPENDING ON THE INGREDIENTS USED.
Nutrition Per Serve