This tropical low carb trifle would be perfect for any Christmas parties you may be attending. Offer to bring dessert and you will be everyone’s favourite! After enjoying our Keto Raspberry Trifle recipe, we were really keen to try another flavour combination. As it’s summer in Australia at Christmas we decided on a delicious tropical version.
WHAT IS TRIFLE?
Originating from England, trifle is a dessert which has layers of sponge cake, custard, fruit, jelly and cream. There are loads of variations and flavours of trifle, so lots of room for you to be creative. Traditionally it is made in one large glass serving bowl, but I like it in individual ones too.
Low Carb TRIFLE ON CHRISTMAS DAY
In Australia we celebrate Christmas in Summer, so our Christmas day lunch is usually a bit different from the northern hemisphere. As it can be really hot, we don’t tend to have a lot of food that is cooked in the oven. We tend to prefer glazed ham, prawns and salads.
For dessert my family always had a trifle as well as a Christmas pudding and custard made with my family recipe. The trifle was always my favourite as I loved all the different textures and flavours. Also it was nice and cold so perfect for a hot summer’s day. For our keto Aussie Christmas celebration we now love to have our maple glazed ham, prawn cocktails, salads and of course a low carb trifle!
The great thing about a trifle is that it is a good make ahead dish as the cake absorbs the other flavours as it sits in the fridge. Which is perfect for a celebration where you may have a lot of other food to prepare. If you do make it ahead, I would suggest decorating it with the whipped cream and berries on the day of serving for the best results.
Tips for making tropical low carb trifle
- We made this low carb trifle in individual serving bowls and glasses, it will also work well in a large trifle bowl.
- You can change the jelly flavour and the fruit to suit your preferences.
- We made the jelly, custard and macaroons the day before and assembled the trifle in the morning which worked well time wise.
- You can find our Keto Vanilla Custard recipe here.
Struggle with lunch ideas? access our free ebook now
Tag @havebutterwilltravel on Instagram or twitter with your low carb trifle photos as we would love to see your creations!
Check out our other Dessert and Sweet recipes.
- Sugar Free Blueberry Tart – Low Carb Dessert
- Low Carb Christmas Pudding – Cranberry & Walnut with Mascarpone Cream
- Black Forest Trifle – Low Carb and Keto
- Keto Rum Balls
- Keto Rocky Road
- Chocolate & Orange Keto Baked Custard
- Caramel & Peanut Butter Keto Shake
- Chocolate and Hazelnut Keto Brownie
- Keto Blondies – Brown Butter, Tahini & Pecan
- Keto Chocolate Bark
- 2 Pineapple or Mango & Passionfruit Jelly Sachets (9g each)
- 1 batch Keto Vanilla Custard
- 1 &1/2 cup Pure Cream (pouring)
- 2 Passionfruit
- 30 gm Flaked Coconut, toasted
- Prepare jelly as per the directions and divide into 8 serving bowls (1/2 a cup of jelly mixture per bowl). Set in the fridge
- Prepare the custard as per the recipe and store in the fridge until completely chilled
- Whip cream to soft peaks
- Remove pulp from passionfruit and place in a small bowl
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius (320 F) and line a baking sheet with baking paper
- In a bowl whisk together egg whites, sweetener and salt for approximately one minute until frothy
- Add coconut and coconut flour to the egg white mixture and stir until fully combined and mixture has thickened. If it is still runny you may need to add a small amount of extra coconut flour
- Shape mixture into 1 teaspoon sized balls and place on the lined baking sheet. They will not change in size so you don't need to allow too much room between them. I got 40 macaroons from the mixture
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Watch them as they can start to colour quickly. Set aside to cool
- Divide the cooled custard between the 8 serving bowls on top of the set jelly
- Place 4-5 macaroons on top of the custard on each serving of the trifle.
- Top with whipped cream, toasted coconut flakes and passionfruit pulp
Note this is based on the ingredients we used, nutritional information may very depending on the ingredients used.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.