We fell in love with smoothie bowls on our last trip to Hawaii. The problem was they were full of sugar. So we wanted to create a keto smoothie bowl just as delicious and I think we have done it. The combination of strawberries, vanilla and almond milk is so delicious in this smoothie bowl recipe. The best thing about this keto smoothie bowl is how you can customise it with your favourite keto smoothie bowl toppings.
Strawberry Smoothie Bowl
When we were travelling in Hawaii we found an awesome Acai bowl place on the North Shore. We were aware that it wasn’t going to be low carb, but when in Hawaii you have to at least try a good Acai bowl. We absolutely loved the acai bowl we had, but we were very aware of how full of sugar and fruit it was. Ever since Erika has been wanting to create a keto smoothie bowl and I think she has nailed it with this smoothie bowl recipe.
We needed to work out the best fruit to use as the base of the smoothie. Acai is not an option, mainly because it is not easily accessible. We wanted to come out with something that could easily be made at home by anyone. Berries are the best low carb fruits, so we decided to go with strawberries as we have access to some of the best berries in Australia, right on our doorstop. In order to get the ice cream texture, we found it worked best to freeze the strawberries overnight and combine with ice and almond milk. The protein powder adds some sweetness and vanilla flavour.
The thing I love about this smoothie bowl recipe is that you can top it with your favourite toppings. The one we had in Hawaii was topped with sweet granola, banana, strawberries, coconut and lots of other fruit. We have come up with some great keto toppings you can use. Check those out below.
Low carb Fruits
Berries are really the only fruit that are low enough in sugar and carbs to be part of a ketogenic lifestyle. When we are looking for a quick and simple sweet treat, we love to grab some strawberries from our local strawberry farm and mix them with some double cream for the perfect keto dessert.
- Strawberries 8g total carbs per 100g
- Raspberries 12g total carbs per 100g
- Blueberries 14g total carbs per 100g
- Cranberries 12g total carbs per 100g
Low carb Egg Free Breakfasts
Eggs are definitely one of the most popular things to have for breakfast. If you are egg free, or just over eating eggs and looking for a change, this keto smoothie bowl is an excellent option. Some other great egg free breakfasts include chia pudding, some crunchy nut and seed granola, a fat bomb smoothie. Our favourite breakfast muffin, a bulletproof bone broth, creamy hot chocolate, or pecan pie keto oatmeal are some other awesome egg free brekafast options.
- Freeze the strawberries overnight. This smoothie bowl recipe will only work if you use frozen strawberries. We like to just freeze fresh ones from a local farm, but you can definitely also buy frozen strawberries from the grocery store.
- Ice is also really important for gaining that more frozen like texture. if you skip the ice or don’t put enough in it will be more drinkable smoothie than spoonable smoothie. We are going for a nice thick consistency so it can be eaten with a spoon.
- If you aren’t a fan of strawberries this keto smoothie bowl will work just as well with other low carb berries, like raspberries or blueberries.
- Other milks you can use instead of almond milk are coconut milk, hazelnut milk or macadamia milk.
- This recipe works best with a high speed blender. You also don’t want to blend for too long as the heat from the blender could make the mixture too runny. Check out or preferred blender below.
Smoothie Bowl Toppings
This is the fun part. Feel free to get a little creative here. We have listed some of our favourites, but you can come up with any of your own favourite keto toppings. Just remember, if you are tracking your macros to add the toppings as well as the smoothie bowl.
- Berries. Any of the low carb berries will work perfect as a topping. We used blueberries, but strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and even cranberries would work.
- Nut butters. For presentation we warmed some almond butter in the microwave and drizzled it over the top. Hazelnut butter would also work really well as a delicious topping.
- Granola. Our keto granola is the perfect topping to add to this keto smoothie bowl. We love to add some form of crunch with our toppings and this works perfectly.
- Coconut flakes. We added some toasted coconut flakes to our smoothie bowl. I really love the flavour and texture it adds.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
You may need –
- High speed blender. This smoothie bowl recipe works best using a blender like this one. Some of the cheaper blenders may not handle crushing the ice.
Keto Smoothie Bowl
We just love this keto smoothie bowl with the sweetness of the strawberries and protein powder you don’t need to add any sweetener at all. This recipe is fun as you get to play around with your favourite keto toppings. I can just imagine sitting out on my deck on a warm sumers morning, enjoying my keto smoothie bowl and reading my book. How relaxing. Sounds perfect to me.
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- Keto Granola – Chocolate Honey
- Bulletproof Mocha – Dairy Free
- Keto Egg Drop Soup
- Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins
- Keto Egg Muffins – Salami & Ricotta
- Keto Egg Loaf – Blueberry & Lemon
- Keto Smoothie Bowl
- Black Forest Keto Chia Parfait
- Keto Cheesy Taco Omelette
- 5 Easy Make Ahead Keto Breakfast Ideas
- 100 g Frozen Strawberries
- 1 scoop Isopure Creamy vanilla (zero carb protein powder)
- 0.5 cup Almond Milk
- 2 Ice Cubes
- Place strawberries, protein powder, almond milk and ice in a high speed blender and blend for 1 min or until completely smooth.
- Place in bowl and top with desired add ins. Serve immediately