We have been trying to come up with some new keto friendly recipes for Christmas this year. So, we put out a call to our community to see what recipes our fellow low carbers are wanting to enjoy this Christmas. Someone suggested rum balls and we were really keen to come up with a keto rum ball recipe for you all to enjoy this Christmas.
Keto Rum Balls
I remember having rum balls made by my Aunty at many family Christmas get togethers, but I haven’t had one since starting keto. This will be our 3rd Christmas since moving to a ketogenic lifestyle and we are always looking for new ways to ketofy all our Christmas favourites. These rum balls are a delicious mix of chocolate brownie, coconut, pecans and of course rum!
NoShu Sugar Free Fudgy Brownies Mix – Australia
We have seen a lot of our Australian keto friends enjoying these new fudgy brownies from Noshu and we were keen to give them a go. We thought they would be perfect in these keto rum balls. They are sugar free and sweetened with erythritol and stevia. The best thing about this mix is that it is easily available in Woolworths, which is one of the largest supermarkets in Australia.
Each serve is 5g of net carbs so it wouldn’t be something we would use as part of our every day eating. However we do like to make these when we have our niece and nephew visiting so we can indulge a little and not feel like we are missing out.
The instructions on the Noshu brownie packet recommended using sunflower or coconut oil. We used butter to prepare the brownies.
Good Dee’s Low Carb Brownie Mix – North America
For our North American friends, we recommend substituting the Noshu fudgy brownie for the Good Dee’s brownie mix in these keto rum balls. We have seen lots of people in the US enjoying these Good Dee’s mixes.
This brownie mix has better macros than the Noshu mix, so the macros of the these rum balls using the Good Dee’s mix will have less carbohydrates. The macros of this mix are for the dry mix only, so you need to also count the added eggs or butter. The net carbs for one serve is 1g.
Alternatively you could make your own low carb brownie from scratch of course. It would work best with a more cake style brownie, as one that is too dense may not crumble easily.
Rum is a very popular spirit in Australia and there really is only one brand we drink and that is Bundaberg Rum. Bundaberg rum comes from Bundaberg which is a city in Queensland. We used Bundaberg rum in our keto rum balls.
Great news for Bundaberg rum fans that are now living a ketogenic lifestyle, they are now making a zero sugar rum and cola premix can. Check it out here.
We love to use Sukrin sweeteners in our keto baking and these keto rum balls. We have tried loads of the sweeteners available on the market and have found this to be the best tasting option with no bitter after taste. Our family and friends, who are not keto, love our keto baking too when it is made with Sukrin. Also, it is made with our preferred sweeteners, a combination of stevia glycosides and erythritol.
Australians! Don’t worry, the Sukrin products are available for us too. If you are interested check out Sukrin Australia.
Our favourites from the Sukrin products are;
- Sukrin 1 – which substitutes one for one for white sugar
- Sukrin Gold – which substitutes one for one for brown sugar
- Sukrin Melis – which substitutes one for one for icing or powdered sugar
- Sukrin Gold Fibre Syrup – this reminds me of golden syrup that we use in baking in Australia. It tastes delicious and is great for making any caramel recipes
- Sugar Free Blueberry Tart – Low Carb Dessert
- Low Carb Christmas Pudding – Cranberry & Walnut with Mascarpone Cream
- Black Forest Trifle – Low Carb and Keto
- Keto Rum Balls
- Keto Rocky Road
- Chocolate & Orange Keto Baked Custard
- Caramel & Peanut Butter Keto Shake
- Chocolate and Hazelnut Keto Brownie
- Keto Blondies – Brown Butter, Tahini & Pecan
- Keto Chocolate Bark
Favourite Christmas Treats
As this is our third Christmas since living a ketogenic lifestyle we have developed quite a few keto treats that are perfect for Christmas. On our first Christmas we made these Chocolate truffles to take for Christmas lunch and we were really happy that we were able to enjoy these guilt free.
This year, we are really excited about the new recipes we have come up with. Check back to the blog every week to see what new recipes we have. We have a black forest trifle, gingerbread cookies and a prawn cocktail, all keto friendly of course.
What are your plans for your Christmas meals? What are some of your favourite keto friendly Christmas treats? Let us know in the comments below.
Struggle with lunch ideas? access our free ebook now
- 1 packet Noshu Sugar Free Fudgy Brownies or any sugar free brownie mix
- 1 Large Egg
- 0.25 cup Water
- 110 g Butter 1 stick
- Bake the brownie as per the instructions on the packet. This will need the water, egg and butter.
- While brownie is baking in the oven, place the cream and the sweetener in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and simmer on low for 15-20 mins until the mixture has reduced by half and thickened. Set aside to cool.
- Once you have removed the cooked brownie from the oven, allow it to completely cool.
- Once the brownie is cooled, crumble all the brownie into a large bowl. Add the chopped pecans and the coconut to the brownie and toss.
- Add the rum to the cooled cream mixture and stir until it's a smooth consistency.
- Add the cream mixture to the brownie mixture and stir until completely combined.
- Place the coconut for rolling in a shallow bowl.
- Scoop about 1 tbsp of the mixture into your hand and roll into a ball. Place into the coconut and roll to coat. Repeat until all the mixture is gone. We got 30 balls from this mixture.
- Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge. We like to have them in the fridge for a couple of hours prior to serving to help them firm slightly.
The nutritional facts has been based on using the Noshu fudgy brownie mix.For North Americans we recommend using Good Dees Brownie mix
NOTE: THIS IS BASED ON THE INGREDIENTS WE USED, NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION MAY VARY DEPENDING ON THE INGREDIENTS USED.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.