Winter is coming to Melbourne and that means comfort food. Roasted chicken thighs with mushrooms is the perfect dinner for those cold wintery nights. Since we moved to Melbourne 3 years ago we have always struggled with winter. You just want to stay inside snuggled on the couch watching Netflix and eating all the comfort foods. These keto roasted chicken thighs really hit the spot on a cold winter’s night!
Roasted Chicken Thighs
This meal is tasty, warm and comforting and leaves the house smelling amazing! Chicken and mushrooms is a classic flavour combination and you will not be disappointed with this tasty dinner. We love roasting chicken thighs with the skin on so you end up with succulent meat and crispy chicken skin.
It can be tricky in Australian supermarkets to find chicken thighs with the skin on and the bone in, but trust me it is worth the effort for this delicious dish. We find we are able to buy them at the supermarket deli counter. It can be harder to find them in the pre-packaged raw meat section. Another good option to try is your local butcher.
Keto Chicken recipes
It is no secret that we love chicken here and it is something we eat on a regular basis. It is such a versatile meat that tends to be something that whole family will enjoy, even the fussy ones!
Chicken is generally quite a lean protein and often not a favourite choice with people living a keto lifestyle. We would recommend trying to find cuts with the skin on as that increases the fat and also adds delicious flavour to the meat.
Chicken thigh with the skin on is a great choice for the budget-conscious keto person. Thighs are generally cheaper than breasts and are easier to find with the skin on.
Check out some of our favourite low carb chicken recipes below;
Best keto bone broth options
It goes without saying that making your own bone broth at home is the way to go. For a start it is so much cheaper than buying good quality bone broth and you can also control the ingredients used. The best part is that it can actually be made using leftover bones that you may actually just chuck out.
We prefer the flavour of bone broth made with chicken bones and we keep a bag in the freezer where we can add bones as we have them until we have enough to make a batch of broth. Check out this video of us making chicken bone broth in our instant pot –
If you prefer to buy bone broth, then here are the best store bought options that we have found –
- Campbell’s bone broth
- Nutraorganics bone broth powder
- Gevity bone broth body glue
- Best of the Bone broth concentrate
- Kettle & Fire bone broth
- Bonafide Provisions organic chicken bone broth
- Epic Artisanal bone broth
- Pacific Foods organic chicken bone broth
- Try making your own ghee and bone broth to make this dish even more delicious!
- If you don’t have adobo seasoning on hand use a mixture of onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano & turmeric. Try making this adobo seasoning recipe.
- I used a mixture of shitaki, brown and button mushrooms. You can use whatever mushrooms you have available.
- We like to serve our keto roasted chicken and mushrooms over rocket, baby spinach or with our favourite greens or steamed vegetables. This makes for a complete and satisfying meal.
- You can also serve it over zucchini noodles, cauliflower mash or cauliflower rice, which will soak up the yummy sauce really well.
- Sometimes we like to add some pure cream (heavy whipping cream) to the mushroom sauce after it comes out of the oven and simmer it on the stove top for a few minutes. This make a delicious creamy mushroom sauce which we then serve over konjac noodles.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
YOU MAY NEED –
Roasted Chicken thighs with mushrooms
Chicken and mushrooms has always been a great flavour combination, which is partly why this dish is such a winner. There is nothing more comforting than a thick, rich gravy spooned over a crispy chicken thigh. Your whole family will love this recipe.
Serve these keto roasted chicken thighs with the mushroom gravy and mashed cauliflower and you will literally have winner winner chicken dinner!
Check out our other delicious keto meals;
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F
- Dry off chicken thighs and place in a bowl. Add in adobo seasoning and mix well until all the chicken is coated
- Clean and prepare the mushrooms. If they are small I like to halve or quarter them. The larger ones I cut into thick slices
- Heat a large oven-proof frying pan or cast iron dish over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the ghee to melt, then place the chicken thighs skin side down and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the skin is browned
- Turn the chicken pieces over and cook for another 5 minutes skin side up
- Remove the chicken from the pan and turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the shallots
- Cook the shallots for 1-2 mins or until they are softened. Increase the heat to medium-high and then add the mushrooms. Add more ghee if the pan is too dry
- Cook for a few minutes or until the mushrooms have lightly browned
- Add in the bone broth. Stir to combine juices and scrape the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Turn off the heat. Place the chicken pieces on top of the mushroom mixture skin side up
- Roast in the oven for 30 mins or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through
- Remove from the oven and set the chicken aside. Lightly sprinkle the xanthan gum over the mushrooms stirring continuously as you go, take your time to ensure it doesn’t clump
- Serve the chicken over the mushroom sauce
NOTE: THIS IS BASED ON THE INGREDIENTS WE USED, NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION MAY VARY DEPENDING ON THE INGREDIENTS USED. NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY GARNISHES.
Nutrition Per Serve
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you