These keto meatballs have quickly become a staple in our house. It’s a great idea to cook up a batch on the weekend and store some in the freezer for a quick mid week meal.
These have been a big hit with our non keto family and friends and are often a go to when we have family staying with us. Keto meatballs are also a big hit with kids, so these are a real crowd pleaser.
A real Crowd Pleaser
These keto meatballs are our go to when we have family staying with us and we need to provide dinner. We had Dan’s Mum stay with us and it can be tough to cater for her taste buds. We knew these meatballs would be a winner.
Not only were they a winner, but she asked us for the recipe and she has made them at home a couple of times. The first time she made them with pasta and said that our version with the zoodles was better and has since made them with the zoodles.
Sometimes just introducing people to different alternatives gets them thinking about not always having the carbs with every meal.
Serving Suggestions for keto meatballs
This recipe uses pesto in the meatballs. You can use a store bought option if you are short on time. We like to make our Keto Basil Pesto to use in the meatballs as it is super delicious and we can be assured of the ingredients and avoid the oils we don’t want.
Serve over zoodles or konjac noodles. Sometimes you still want that traditional spaghetti and meatballs feeling. Using zoodles or konjac noodles will still give you all the feeling of spaghetti without all those carbs.
Serve with spinach leaves or broccoli. We will often just add some spinach leaves into the sauce a few minutes before we serve it. It’s quick and easy and a good way to make Dan eat her veggies.
Make a keto meatball sandwich with low carb bread. One of Dan’s favourite food memories is a meatball sub she had in Portland. Since then we have made our own keto friendly meatball sandwiches using Hermon Brot bread and these meatballs.
Another delicious way to have these meatballs is to bake some eggs in the sauce and you then have a a filling breakfast.
Do you love keto meatballs as much as we do? Definitely try these and tag @havebutterwilltravel on Instagram to show us your deliciousness!
Check out our other delicious keto meals.
- Keto Egg Salad
- Keto Pumpkin Soup – Curry & Coconut
- Keto Teriyaki Salmon
- Keto Creamy Pesto Pasta
- Easy Keto Lasagne
- 18 of the Best Keto Soup Recipes
- Keto Chicken Soup
- Keto Taco Casserole
- Easy Keto Dinner Recipes
- Best Keto Chicken Recipes
- 250 g beef mince (ground beef) 1/2 a pound
- 250 g pork mince (ground pork) 1/2 a pound
- 1 egg (large)
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cups tomato passata (sugo)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 cup mozzarella or cheddar cheese (grated) (100g)
- salt & pepper
- basil leaves
- basil pesto
- parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius /390 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine pork & beef mince, pesto, almond meal, egg, parmesan cheese and salt & pepper in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Shape into meatballs (golf ball size). You should get about 20 meatballs from the mixture
- Heat olive oil in an oven-proof frying pan on medium. Fry meatballs for 7-8 minutes until browned on all sides then remove from pan and set aside
- Add passata, garlic powder, oregano and salt & pepper to the pan and bring to a simmer for a few minutes. Then return the meatballs to the pan
- Sprinkle with cheese and place in the oven for 15-20 mins until the cheese is melted, golden and bubbling
- Serve with basil leaves, additional pesto and parmesan cheese
- Replace the almond meal for pork rinds if you are unable to tolerate Almonds or if you would like reduce the carbs more.
NOTE: THIS IS BASED ON THE INGREDIENTS WE USED, NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION MAY VARY DEPENDING ON THE INGREDIENTS USED. NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY GARNISHES.
Nutrition Per Serve
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.