Have you ever wondered if guacamole is keto friendly? Can I have guacamole on keto? Well, the simple answer is yes and yes. For keto guacamole with the best ingredients, we would recommend making your own guacamole. It is super simple using this keto guacamole recipe.
Keto guacamole is a quick and easy option that is always a crowd pleaser. All you will need is a few ripe avocados and you will have the base to make your own. We love serving it with cheese crisps or vegetable sticks. Even your non keto family and friends will love this recipe.
Guacamole is one of those recipes that is great to have up your sleeve as it’s so versatile. Whip some up for a party or when entertaining, have some to add fat to your bacon and egg breakfast, or add to any Mexican dish like keto nachos.
This keto guacamole is such an easy go to when you need to take something to a BBQ or a potluck. It’s super simple to make and is always a crowd pleaser. You could pair it with some cheese crackers or low carb crackers and it will be a big hit with all your family and friends.
We love to have some guacamole made up in the fridge so we can easily add a dollop of flavour and fat to any meal.
The thing I love about making your own keto guacamole at home is that you get to control the ingredients. The ones in the supermarkets can have a lot of undesirable ingredients. For example, the Black Swan guacamole has 18 ingredients including sugar, canola oil, thickeners, preservatives and colours.
If you make your own, you will need 4 ingredients and you can avoid sugar, canola oil and all the additives. Also, many of the ones we find at the supermarket have cream cheese, this keto guacamole recipe is also dairy free.
Avocados on keto
Avocados are one of the most popular foods to eat on a ketogenic diet and what is not to love! They are full of healthy fats and fibre and are also a great source of copper, potassium, folate, zinc, iron, manganese and magnesium. So basically avocados are low in carbohydrates, high in healthy fat and packed with nutrients, pretty much a keto superfood.
We love using avocados as a way of adding healthy fats to our diet. We will often add half an avocado to our lunch. I love to just slice it up, sprinkle with salt and eat it.
Keto crackers and dips
Who doesn’t love crackers and dips. As mentioned already, it can be really hard to find good clean keto dips in the supermarket. In order to enjoy crackers and dip you will find it best to make your own keto dips. With crackers there are some excellent keto friendly options now available in both the supermarket and online.
If you are looking for the best keto crackers you can buy, here are some of our favourites.
- Olinas seeded crackers available at Coles and Woolworths.
- O&B finest seed crackers from Woolworths
- Keto Kitchen crackers from Low Carb Emporium
- Low Carb Co crackers from Low Carb Emporium
- Loka crackers from Low Carb Emporium
You can also make some really delicious keto crackers. These are some of our favourite go to home made keto crackers –
- Salami crackers
- Cheese crackers
- Everything but the bagel cheese crisps
- Easy keto crackers from Gnom Gnom
- Seed crackers from Diet Doctor
- Fat head crackers from Ditch the Carbs
Keto dips are a great option when entertaining or hosting a family BBQ and we love to make a few different options when we have friends and family visiting. Check out our favourites below –
- You will want to make sure the avocados are ripe. If your avocados need to ripen, leave them out of the fridge for 1-2 days and they will ripen naturally.
- If you want to store your keto guacamole in the fridge for a few days, we would recommend placing cling film or plastic wrap right onto the surface of the dip to try to seal it. It will avoid the top browning.
- If your dip goes a little brown on top whilst storing, just give it a mix through before serving.
- This recipe uses French shallots, check out this excellent explanation. I prefer to use these as they have a milder and sweeter flavour than an onion. Of course you can use onion if you prefer that flavour.
- I prefer the guacamole simple like this, however you can experiment by adding extra ingredients like chilli or coriander.
- Great to add to any Mexican dish. We love Mexican flavours and some of our favourite keto recipes are Mexican.
- This keto guacamole is a perfect addition to our chorizo chilli, on top of your taco salad or with your cheese shell tacos.
- Guacamole goes really well with cheese crackers, salami crackers and vegetable sticks. You could add it to a grazing platter when entertaining.
- We love to use this guacamole as part of our bacon and eggs breakfast on the weekend. This breakfast keeps us full all day.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
This keto guacamole recipe is much more than just smashed avocado. The lime juice and the shallots really add bags full of flavour to the avocado and converting it to a delicious keto friendly dip. If you have been missing guacamole on keto, make sure you give this quick and easy keto guacamole recipe a go. I can promise you will not be disappointed.
Check out our other dip and sauces.
- Honey Teriyaki Sauce
- Avocado lime dressing
- Baked feta with olives
- Everything but the bagel dip
- Keto bread & butter pickles
- Keto Nut Butter
- Roasted Capsicum Dip
- Keto Reuben Dip
- Keto Cream Cheese Dip – Pesto
- Keto Pimento cheese
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp french shallot, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Pour the lime juice over the shallots in a small bowl and leave for 5 minutes
- Remove the avocado from the skin and discard the seed. Add to the lime juice mixture and mash with a fork to the desired texture
- Add salt and pepper to taste and mix through and serve
Nutrition Per Serve
Thank you for posting so many great ideas. I have been struggling for a year with preparing meals for others. I am never comfortable. Love your page!
Thanks so much for your comments. We hope you find some of our recipes helpful. If you feel you need extra support join our Facebook group Aussie Low Carb community.
Ruth Longfield says
Just what I was looking for, thank you !!
Great – hope you enjoy it Ruth!