One of our absolute favourite Christmas treats has always been fruit mince pies from Bakers Delight. Not exactly an easy thing to make a keto or low carb option version of. Erika has decided it is time to tackle the challenge of making a keto fruit mince. She found making a keto fruit mince scroll was a great way to get the fruit mince fix with a fat head style scroll.
Before starting our keto lifestyle in July 2016, dried fruit was one of my favourite things. I would love dried cranberries, sultanas, dried apple, dried banana. You name the fruit, if it had a dried version, I loved it. I will admit, I was a little devastated when Erika informed me the dried fruit had to go.
Due to fruit mince practically being full of dried fruit, I was interested to see what Erika would come up with. Traditionally fruit mince is made with sultanas, raisins and currants with some citrus peel.
As Erika was unable to use dried fruit, she had to get creative. We have seen a couple of different low carb fruit mince recipes using apple. We wanted to keep the net carbs as low as we could. I wonder if you have guessed what Erika used as the fruit replacement in this recipe yet?
Did you guess ZUCCHINI? I know I didn’t. Erika got me to taste it before I knew what was in it and I had no idea what she had used. The zucchini and walnuts with the fruit mince spices really do give the flavour and texture of fruit mince.
If this is the first time you have heard about fat head dough, let me tell you this stuff is magical. Tom Naughton, the creator behind the Fat Head movie, also created fat head dough. If you haven’t seen the movie yet, do yourself a favour and check it out here.
One of the great things about keto is that so many creative people have found ways to ketofy all our favourite carb filled foods. Well, most, I am yet to see anyone recreate a croissant! The fat head dough has been used to create some of these ketofied dishes. These include; keto bagels, cinnamon scrolls, sausage rolls, danishes and of course, PIZZA.
It is made using cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg and almond flour. There are many different variations of the original recipe around. This is our preferred recipe
You can use the fruit mince portion of this recipe to create other variations on these keto fruit mince scrolls.
You could make a fruit mince tart. Use your favourite keto pie crust recipe and use the fruit mince as a filling.
We love the keto pie crust recipe from Megan at Mad Creations. I would recommend making the sweet version if you are making fruit mince tarts.
- You can make the fruit mince a day or two ahead of making the scrolls.
- You can make the scroll log the day before and store in the fridge overnight before cutting.
- Be patient and gentle with the fat head dough. It can be fragile. If there are some cracks when rolling just fill the cracks with some dough from the end if needed.
- These are best served by themselves. I enjoy them warm. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes out of the oven and serve warm.
- They are also really enjoyable at room temperature or slightly warmed in the oven. If warming in the oven, wrap in aluminium foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes on 180C/350F.
- They will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze them.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
You may need –
Keto Fruit Mince Scrolls
These keto fruit mince scrolls are going to be the perfect keto replacement for fruit mince pies this Christmas. The combination of zucchini, walnuts, butter and sweetener create the base to the fruit mince. The spices just make the whole house smell like Christmas!
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- Keto Spiced Nuts
- Keto White Christmas
- Keto Christmas Desserts All The Family Will Love
- Keto Turkey Roast with Cherry Sauce
- Keto Fruit Mince Scrolls
- Keto Grazing Platter
- Roasted Capsicum Dip
- Australian Keto Christmas Recipes
- Sugar Free Blueberry Tart – Low Carb Dessert
- Keto Christmas Menu – What’s on our table for Christmas 2018!