Figuring out what foods work with a ketogenic lifestyle can be a little overwhelming for someone just starting out. We have put together some shopping tips to help you successfully navigate your first few trips to the supermarket.
- When checking a nutrition label, you want to try and keep the carbohydrate less than 5g per 100g.
- Most Australian nutrition labels already show the net carbs.
Ingredients to avoid
- Sugar in all its forms. Food producers use a lot of different names to try and sneak sugar into our foods. Check out the list below to help you work out if food has added sugar
- Transfats and highly processed vegetable oils such as; Margarine, Shortening, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Vegetable Oil, Sunflower Oil, Safflower Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Grapeseed Oil
- All grains
- It is easiest to avoid most processed food
- The best sweetener options to choose are Stevia, Erythritol and Xylitol
- Choose free-range or organic eggs where possible. We like these ones
Struggle with lunch ideas? access our free ebook now
- Choose fattier cuts of meat where possible, for example chicken wings or thighs over chicken breast
- When choosing animal products, we look for organic or grass-fed/pasture-raised to ensure the highest quality and nutritional value
- Sausages and prepared meats – check the ingredients and nutrition panel as they can include breadcrumbs and other fillers. Cleavers Meats is a great option that is available in most supermarkets in Australia
- Cured meats – these may contain small amounts of sugar due to the curing process. Again, check the ingredients and nutrition panel to ensure the carbohydrate and sugars are as low as possible
- The general rule is that vegetables that grow above the ground are the best options when eating low carb. Leafy greens are the best option
- The best fruit options are berries
- Lemons and fresh herbs are great for adding flavour
- Buy organic where possible.
Are there any tips you have that we may have missed? Let us know in the comments below.
- Keto Essentials: Kitchen Equipment
- Keto Essentials: Fridge
- Keto Essentials: Pantry
- Keto Essentials: Shopping Tips
Get your FREE eBook - 10 Easy Keto Packed Lunch Ideas
6 exclusive new recipes
Meal prep tips
10 quick and easy lunches
Never have a boring lunch at work again!