One of the most asked questions we have in our Facebook group is what do people eat for lunch on a keto lifestyle? I think it is because a traditional lunch option was a sandwich and with sandwich bread off the table, some become a bit lost for a good keto lunch option. One of our go to lunch options over the 4 years has been keto egg salad. It’s the perfect combination of egg, avocado and mayo.
Keto egg salad is delicious and also versatile. You can serve it over a bed of mixed lettuce or baby spinach. Alternatively, you can serve it in iceberg or cos lettuce cups, or on your favourite low carb seed crackers. Erika will even just eat it with a spoon straight from the container!
Keto Lunch Options
As mentioned above, lots of people struggle with a good keto lunch option. Many find it easy to swap their breakfast to low carb by removing the toast and staying away from sweet breakfasts. Dinners can be as simple as removing the carby sides like pasta and potato. What they struggle with the most is swapping from their vegemite sandwich to a keto lunch. If you remove the bread from a vegemite sandwich, there isn’t much left!
Well, we are here to tell you there are lots of great keto lunch options out there. I have a few favourites including dinner leftovers, egg salad like this keto egg salad recipe or a mix of antipasto ingredients like salami, olives, pickles, tomatoes, cheese etc.
Check out some of our favourite keto lunch options below;
Mayo on Keto
Making your own mayo may sound like a bit of a hassle, but check out this quick and easy method. Once you give it a go you won’t want to be buying store bought again. The best part of making it yourself is you have complete control over the ingredients. We have been making our own for a while now and it’s so easy, even Dan has been doing it lately.
In Australia, all the supermarket mayonnaise options are made with inflammatory vegetable oils like soybean, canola or vegetable oil. We try to avoid these oils and prefer to use a light flavoured olive oil or avocado oil to make our mayonnaise at home.
If you would prefer to buy your own mayo we recommend Primal Kitchen or Sir Kensington’s brands as they are both made using avocado oil. In Australia, the Sir Kensington’s avocado oil mayo is available from iHerb with free shipping.
Here are our favourite store bought mayo options;
- Sir Kensington’s Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- Good Fat Mayo
- Vitawerx Keto Mayo Classic
Are eggs the perfect food?
I love eggs. So I may be a little bias when I answer the above question. To me, they are the perfect food. Another comment I see all the time, is “I am over eggs, what else can I eat?” I won’t lie, I have a little internal thought – Are you crazy? How can you be sick of eggs. I would eat eggs most days. I love fried eggs the best and my standard breakfast is 2 fried eggs with some form of side, like bacon, avo or mushrooms.
Now to answer the above question with facts more than my bias opinion.
First, let’s look at the macro breakdown of 1 whole raw 60g egg. (source of macronutrient data – foodstandards.gov.au)
- Calories – 76
- Protein – 7.6g
- Fat – 5.1g
- Total carbs 0.2g
Without getting too technical, they also pack some great vitamins and minerals into that one little 60g egg.
In my opinion, the thing that makes them the perfect food is I can eat them without worrying about carbs, they are really easy to cook and incorporate into your meals. I will often top a meal like our keto chilli with a fried egg if I am feeling hungry. I also know they will fill me up and keep me feeling satisfied.
If you have a found a food you think rivals the egg as a perfect keto food let me know in the comments!
- This is best made just prior to serving as the avocado may go brown if it is left overnight. You could prepare the egg mixture in advance and just add the avocado prior to serving.
- You don’t want the avocado to be over ripe as it will be difficult to dice. It is best to choose a ripe avocado that is still firm for this dish.
- This can be served over rocket leaves or mixed lettuce and also with some other salad vegetables.
- It is also perfect to be served in iceberg or cos lettuce cups or just as is straight out of the bowl!
- It is easy to make your own mayonnaise at home using the stick blender method. Check out our easy video instructions below.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
Keto Egg Salad
This keto egg salad is a great keto lunch option. It includes 3 of my favourite keto foods, eggs, avo and mayo. What couldn’t be more delicious than that? It is super easy to put together and you can then decide how you have it.
You can add the keto egg salad on top of a bed of rocket or eat it straight out of the bowl, like Erika does, or you could put it on top of some of your favourite keto crackers or in some cos lettuce cups like I like to do. Either way, you have a wonderfully easy and delicious lunch that is ready in minutes.
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- Creamy Roasted Chicken Thighs with Bacon & Leek
- Keto Broccoli & Cheese Soup
- Keto Spinach & Cheese Pie
- Pan-Fried Salmon with Curry Sauce
- Keto Curried Sausages
- Keto Poke Bowl
- Keto mac and cheese
- Keto Egg Salad
- Keto Pumpkin Soup – Curry & Coconut
- Keto Teriyaki Salmon
- 6 eggs, hard boiled
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cracked pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- mixed lettuce leaves or lettuce cups for serving (if desired)
- Chop the boiled eggs and add into a small bowl
- Add the mayonnaise, chives, salt and pepper to the boiled eggs and stir to combine
- Add the diced avocado to the egg mixture and stir gently to combine
- Serve the keto egg salad over mixed leaves or in lettuce cups