As we head into winter here in Australia, we are finding we are looking for those hearty and warming recipes. This keto chicken soup recipe is perfect for that. It will definitely be a hearty meal that warms you from the inside out. This keto chicken soup is a creamy soup using shredded chicken and some vegetables. It really is very similar to a canned creamy chicken vegetable soup. The added bonus is the low carb and clean ingredients.
Low Carb Chicken Soup
We really love to have soups for lunch in winter. They are so easy to make and are perfect for batch cooking and meal prep. We love when we make a meal and there is 6 or 8 serves to pop into the freezer and then you have a bunch of meals ready to go.
Chicken soup is one of those meals that is a must-have recipe in your repertoire. Keto or not, everyone has a favourite chicken soup recipe and this one will quickly become your favourite keto soup recipe.
Keto Soup Recipes
As the weather starts to cool down here in Australia we are starting to replace our summery salads with more wintery warming soups. Soups are such a great option on keto, as it is easy to replace the carb from your favourite soups to make them keto-friendly. You can replace the potato with cauliflower in a soup like a potato and leek soup or you can replace noodles with zoodles or konjac noodles in any Asian noodle soups or chicken noodle soup.
If you are looking for some delicious keto soups check out some of our favourites below –
- Keto Laksa
- Cauliflower and Bacon Soup
- Keto Coconut Chicken Noodle Soup
- Keto Mushroom Soup
- Shrimp and Bacon Chowder
- Taco Soup
- Keto French Onion Soup
This recipe uses shredded chicken. If you need a quick option, you can buy a BBQ chicken from the supermarket and remove the meat from the bones and shred it. Any chicken that you don’t use in the recipe can be put in the freezer for later use.
Another really good option is to roast 2-3 chickens at a time in your oven and remove all the meat and store in portions in the freezer. We do this every few months and it means we have shredded chicken ready to go any time. We love to use it in salads, we mix some with mayo for a quick lunch or cook some with some Mexican spices and put it in a cheese shell taco.
HOT TIP – Save your chicken bones and make some bone broth. Homemade chicken broth is delicious and easy to make. You won’t regret making your own.
If you are like us and love to have shredded chicken in the freezer, here are some great keto recipes using shredded chicken.
- Keto Laksa
- Chicken and Asparagus quiche
- Keto Chicken Bake
- Mexican Chicken Pizza
- Keto Nachos
- Big Fat Keto Salad
We have started incorporating bone broth into our diet more. We like to have a small cup before dinner each night. We love to have it for the minerals and collagen and all-round health benefits. We really love to make our own. It is so easy and delicious.
Bone broth is one of the best natural sources of collagen. It is really easy to make your own and you can use any animal bones. We like to use chicken carcasses to make ours and also often throw in some extra chicken wings and chicken necks for more cartilage.
There are also some great options to buy bone broth if you are after convenience.
Best bone broth options for Americans
- Kettle and Fire Bone Broth
- Australian Bone Broth Co Beef Bone Broth Concentrate
- Best of the Bone Bone Broth Concentrate
- Bare Bones Instant Bone Broth
Best Bone Broth options for Australians
- Meadow and Marrow Bone Broth Concentrate
- Nutraorganics Beef Bone Broth Powder
- Bonefide Bone Broth Powder
- Undivided food co Liquid Bone Broth
- Best of the Bone – Bone Broth Concentrate
- Broth and Co Asian-style Chicken Bone Broth
- If you are tracking your carbs and are concerned about the amount of carbohydrates in this recipe, you can reduce the onion and carrot. We really like the vegetables in this recipe as it really gives it a chicken vegetable soup feel.
- The quickest way to get some shredded chicken is to buy a BBQ chicken and pull the meat off the bones.
- If you don’t have any bone broth, store-bought chicken stock works just as well in this recipe.
- Portion out the soup and freeze if you like to meal prep. This is an excellent meal prep option.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
You may need –
Keto Chicken Soup
This keto chicken soup is the perfect meal for winter. The creaminess and the sweetness from the vegetables are the perfect flavour combination in this keto chicken soup recipe. The ingredient that really takes this keto chicken soup to the next level is the BUTTER, of course. It adds a real richness of flavour.
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
- Mexican Chicken Salad
- Mexican tuna salad
- Tuna Salad without Mayo
- Panko Chicken
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Lemon Chicken Marinade
- Mexican chicken marinade
- Smoked Chicken Salad
- Tandoori Chicken Salad
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 celery stalks
- 50 g butter
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 400 g shredded chicken
- 1 cup pure cream (HWC)
- Peel and finely dice the onion, carrot and celery stalks
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the butter to melt
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, thyme and salt & pepper to the pot. Saute over medium heat for about 20 minutes until the carrot is just cooked and the mixture is fragrant, stirring every few minutes. You don't want this mixture to brown, so make sure to adjust the temperature of the burner down where necessary
- Add the garlic to the pot and cook for approximately one minute, stirring, until fragrant
- Add the chicken stock/broth and shredded chicken to the pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the cream and taste for seasoning and add more salt if required. Heat through gently and then it is ready to serve