Ghee is butter with the milk solids removed, so basically butter oil. It’s great for cooking when using high heat on the stovetop as it has a higher smoke point than butter, but it still has that great butter flavour. Ghee is a great option for most people who have dairy intolerances as most of the milk solids are removed.
- Slotted spoon
- Cheesecloth or paper towel
- Heatproof jug
- Glass jar for storage
- Butter – we use this one
Ghee is a very popular ingredient in Indian cuisine. It is great in Butter Chicken or other curries.
We love to use ghee for any high heat cooking as it has a much higher smoke point than butter. It is delicious to use to fry your eggs in.
Ghee is great to use in any high heat cooking where butter may burn, so sautéing mushrooms or other vegetables. It gives a great buttery flavour to any grilled meat or vegetables, and is a good alternative for people who may be intolerant to butter.
Struggle with lunch ideas? access our free ebook now
- Place the butter in the saucepan and heat on medium until completely melted
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 5 mins then skim off the white foam layer on the top. It is safest to keep the temperature on low as it can bubble and spit a little (be careful)
- Leave to continue simmering and the milk solids will sink to the bottom and become brown and the liquid will become clear and golden. This may take 10-20 mins dependant on the size of your saucepan and stove temperature
- Allow to cool slightly, then strain through the sieve lined with cheesecloth into a heatproof jug
- Once strained poor into your glass jar for storage and allow to cool completely
- We prefer to store it in the fridge
We hope you found this helpful. Check out our other ‘How to’ posts for more step by step guides.
- How to: Omelette
- How to: Fried Eggs
- How to: Boiled Eggs
- How to: Scrambled Eggs
- How To: Flavoured Butters
- How To: Roasted Garlic
- How To: Roast Pork Belly
- How to: Bone Broth
- How To: Quick & Easy Hollandaise
- How To: Cloud Bread
Get your FREE eBook - 10 Easy Keto Packed Lunch Ideas
6 exclusive new recipes
Meal prep tips
10 quick and easy lunches
Never have a boring lunch at work again!