If you have been living a ketogenic lifestyle for longer than 5 minutes you will know that we LOVE to use cauliflower as a substitute for everything. I am sure you have seen recipes for things like cauliflower rice, faux potato salad, cauliflower pizza crusts, keto mac and cheese and the list goes on.
Cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable as it doesn’t have a lot of flavour, so it works really well as a substitute. It also works really well as a side dish. We love to have cauliflower mash with stews and casseroles.
This cauliflower mash is so smooth and creamy. It really adds deliciousness to any main meal. It is also a winner with our non keto family and friends.
Struggle with lunch ideas? access our free ebook now
I know the ingredients used here may seem a little inaccurate, but that is the beauty of this puree! It may be a little bit creamier one time if the cauliflower is on the smaller side, but it always works out.
To get the thickness you prefer you may need adjust the ratio of cauliflower to mascarpone cheese and how long you blend it for. We prefer the consistency to be a silky smooth puree rather than a chunky mash. For a thicker consistency use less cheese.
Hot tip. You will want to add more salt than you think. This improves the flavour significantly. Best way to do this is to add some salt, taste and then add more to your palette.
In regards to the serving sizes – well it depends on how much you eat and how hungry you are. This amount would easily cover 6-8 good size meals for us. It keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days and can be frozen as well.
We use a high-powered blender when making this and the result is a silky and luxurious consistency. It is closer to a puree than a mash I guess. How smooth yours turns out may depends on the equipment you are using.
- High-powered blender or food processor
- Large saucepan with steaming basket
- 1 head of Cauliflower (medium to large size)
- 1/2 a tub of Mascarpone cheese (8oz or 250g tub)
- Salt and Pepper
- This cauliflower mash is a great side to any meal. Perfect with a steak and salad
- It is great to serve with our keto oven-baked meatballs
- For an extra decadent side dish you could put this cauliflower mash into a baking dish and top with crumbled bacon and cheese then grill until it is golden brown
- As a side dish for our keto roasted chicken thighs and mushrooms
- Use as side to serve with Beef Stroganoff
- Cut the cauliflower up into florets
- Steam the cauliflower until it is tender. It is best to steam it rather than boil it as you don’t want it to get water logged
- Once the cauliflower is cooked remove it from the steamer and place it into your blender or food processor
- Add in the mascarpone cheese and blend on high for 1 – 2 minutes, or until there are no lumps remaining
- Season with salt and pepper and then serve
We hope you found this helpful. Check out our other ‘How to’ posts for more step-by-step guides
- How to: Make Fathead Pizza Dough
- How To make Smoked Pulled Pork
- How to: Roast Chicken
- How to: Creamy Cauliflower Mash
- How to: Poached Eggs
- How to: Omelette
- How to: Fried Eggs
- How to: Boiled Eggs
- How to: Scrambled Eggs
- How To: Flavoured Butters
Get your FREE eBook - 10 Easy Keto Packed Lunch Ideas
6 exclusive new recipes
Meal prep tips
10 quick and easy lunches
Never have a boring lunch at work again!