Keto chicken drumsticks are a great budget friendly weeknight dinner, and if you make our honey & soy version they will be a family favourite. The sweet and salty combination is always a winner with kids and adults a like. We love to have these for an easy weeknight dinner and then leftovers are great in your lunchbox the next day.
‘Honey & Soy’ Keto chicken drumsticks
Growing up in Australia, stir fry with a honey and soy marinade was a weekly staple. It is a very popular dish that the whole family usually loves. There are loads of pre made sauce options available at the supermarket and I am sure it was a quick and easy dish for Mum to get ready. But also full of sugar and other nasty ingredients!
With honey usually off the table on a ketogenic diet how do we still enjoy this family favourite? We have worked hard to come up with a marinade using keto friendly ingredients so you can still enjoy this weeknight meal with your family.
Chicken drumsticks are a great keto-friendly dinner option. Not only are they cheap but the meat is juicier and the skin increases the fat content. We previously always used skinless chicken breast in our cooking as it was so low in fat, but steer clear of the dry, tasteless chicken breast now. Choose chicken cuts with skin on and bone in as it is much more tasty and delicious, like these keto chicken drumsticks.
Check out our chicken fajita tray bake using chicken drumsticks which is another great family friendly weeknight dinner. We also love skin on bone in chicken thighs in our roasted chicken thigh and mushrooms and in our sheet pan dinner with feta and olives.
Sukrin Fibre Gold Syrup
As you may know we love Sukrin products! Of all the sweeteners we have tried they have the best flavour and even our non-keto family and friends enjoy our keto sweet treats when we use Sukrin.
Of all the products the fibre gold syrup is a real game changer for a low carb diet in my opinion. It is a prebiotic fiber syrup made from plant fibres (isomaltooligosaccharides) with stevia added for extra sweetness. So it is a healthy alternative to honey and syrup with the same sweetness level.
Australians! Don’t worry, these Sukrin products are available for us too. If you are interested check out Sukrin Australia.
Avoiding Soy? Try Coconut Aminos
We try to avoid soy products for the most part, but we do eat fermented soy products occasionally. We choose Tamari over soy sauce for these keto chicken drumsticks, as it is wheat free.
If you are trying to avoid soy products completely, coconut aminos is a dark coloured and salty sauce that is a great substitute for soy sauce or tamari. It is made from fermented coconut blossom sap, so is naturally gluten and soy free. Great for use in salads, dressings, marinades, soups, seasoning vegetables, stir-fries and serving with sashimi. Coconut aminos is a higher carb option, so just make sure you factor that in if necessary.
Serving Suggestions for Honey & Soy Keto Chicken Drumsticks
- We like to have these keto chicken drumsticks with some sautéed asian greens
- They would be yummy with some cauliflower fried rice
- Serve them with some steamed broccoli drizzled with some sesame oil
- Keto chicken dumsticks would be good to take for a picnic or your packed lunch
- Combine tamari, syrup, giner, garlic and cayenne in a small bowl and stir until smooth and well combined
- Marinate the drumsticks in the tamari mixture for at least 4 hours or overnight
- Pre heat oven to 180C/350F
- Place drumsticks in an oven proof dish and pour over any excess marinade and then put in the oven
- Cook in the oven for approximately 40 mins, or until the chicken is cooked through. Turn the drumsticks over 2-3 times during the cooking to coat in the marinade
- Meanwhile, dry fry the sesame seeds in a skillet/frying pan over medium heat to slightly toast them. Just be careful as they may burn quickly, we just want them slightly browned to bring out the flavour
- Remove the chicken from the oven, spoon over any sauce from the bottom of your baking dish and sprinkle with the sesame seeds to serve
Nutrition Per Serve
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.