We love a simple weeknight dinner with lots of protein and veg, so this chicken and mushroom cauliflower risotto is perfect! It is much faster to prepare than a traditional risotto and packed full of veggies. This chicken & mushroom cauliflower risotto recipe uses fairly simple ingredients that you may already have in the fridge. If you haven’t tried a cauliflower risotto recipe before, try something new this week.
A cheat’s version of risotto!
Okay okay, we know this is not a traditional risotto, but most of us don’t have hours to spend at the stove top stirring and lovingly tending to traditional risotto. It is very time consuming and can also be a little overwhelming for people new to cooking. Enter a much quicker and easier way of making risotto – substituting the rice for cauliflower. Not only is this cauliflower risotto recipe faster to make than traditional risotto, but it is also kind of fool proof!
The beauty of this cauliflower risotto recipe is that you can substitute whatever meat and veg you have on hand. Some other delicious combinations would be;
- Prawns and zucchini
- Chorizo and capsicum
- Feta & fresh herbs
- Leg ham with sun-dried tomatoes
- Bacon and corn
Cauliflower rice is a great way of adding more vegetables to your meals and can be used in place of rice or pasta, as in this recipe. It is readily available now, but it is also easy to make at home if you have the time. Making it yourself at home is also a great money saver! We have prepared this step-by-step guide to show you how to make cauliflower rice at home.
We like to buy “Healthy Heart” cauliflower rice from Costco. It comes in a 3 pack (300g each) and it usually has a really long shelf life, which is super handy. However, you can also buy pre-made cauliflower rice, both fresh and frozen, at most major supermarkets in Australia.
- You can use any ‘riced’ veggies in place of the cauliflower rice. Our supermarket also sells broccoli rice, or a mixed vegetable version which would also work well in this recipe.
- This recipe uses French shallots, check out this excellent explanation. I prefer to use these as they have a milder and sweeter flavour than an onion. Of course, you can use onion if you prefer that flavour.
- We like the combination of chicken & mushrooms in this cauliflower risotto recipe, however, you can use any veggies or meat you prefer. Chicken would also be nice with leafy green veggies, zucchini, peas or sun-dried tomatoes.
- We prefer the flavour of portobello mushrooms in this cauliflower risotto, but you can use any mushrooms you prefer.
Make it low carb
- This recipe is already low carb as we use cauliflower rice in place of traditional rice.
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
You may need –
Chicken & mushroom cauliflower risotto recipe
We love the simplicity of this chicken & mushroom cauliflower risotto recipe and the combination of chicken and mushroom is always a winner in our books. Not only is this cauliflower risotto recipe much faster to make than traditional risotto it is also all made in the one pan for easy clean up.
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- Smoked Chicken Salad
- Roast Pumpkin Salad
- Tandoori Chicken Salad
- Beef Rissoles – Veggie Packed
- Beef Satay Recipe
- Creamy Mustard Chicken
- Baked Eggplant
- Mexican Chicken Bake
- Oven-baked curry meatballs
- Chicken couscous soup
- 20 g butter
- 2 French shallots, finely diced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 200 g portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 300 g cauliflower rice
- 200 g shredded chicken
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, finally grated
- extra parmesan cheese, finally grated
- parsley leaves, chopped
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add the butter, shallots, salt & pepper.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, allowing the shallots to soften but not brown. Stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes while stirring until they have started to reduce.
- Add the cauliflower rice and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, until the veggies are all cooked.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the chicken, cream and parmesan and stir to combine.
- Simmer for a few minutes to heat through and reduce cream slighly.
- Serve topped with extra parmesan cheese and parsley.