Burgers are such an easy option for a ketogenic diet. Most traditional burgers can be made into keto burgers just by removing the bun. Often when eating out, a bunless burger is our go to order. We have found most restaurants are happy to serve us a burger without the bun.
Carnivore Keto Burgers
While a bunless burger is awesome when eating out, it’s also a great at home option as well. Often, on a Friday night it will be burger night at our place. We have also found that these burgers work really well for a carnivore diet. Being able to keep our burger night when doing our carnivore month in August, made us both very happy. All we needed to do was remove any of the vegetables we normally add like lettuce wraps, pickles and tomato.
After attending Ketofest in July we wanted to try a carnivore diet experiment for the month of August. After our trip to the US we needed a reset from eating more carbohydrates than we normally would and we were also intrigued to see how we would feel physically and mentally eating basically zero carb.
A strict carnivore or zero carb diet usually consists of just beef, salt and water. Now that was a little too hardcore for us, so we have modified it to suit our lifestyle and make it more achievable. In our carnivore experiment in August we included the following –
- Any meat – beef, chicken, pork and seafood
- Animal products – butter, cheese, cream and eggs
- Tea and coffee
- Mustard and mayonnaise
Toppings for your keto burgers
During our keto carnivore month we just had bacon, cheese and egg on our burgers, but when we are eating our normal keto lifestyle we love to go a bit more crazy with our burger toppings!
- Cheese – We love to add a slice of cheese on top of the burger patty while it is on the grill, just before we take them off, as it melts it perfectly.
- Bacon – While cooking the burgers on the grill, we add a couple of slices of bacon each on to the grill to place on top of our burger patty.
- Egg – I love to top my burger with a fried egg. Again, I just cook it on the grill whilst the burger patty is cooking. Erika is not a fan of egg on her burger, so she usually gives it a miss.
- Condiments – Mustard, mayo, sugar free tomato sauce and/or sugar free BBQ make the burger for us. Without the condiments the burger is a bit plain for me.
- Lettuce wrap – When we aren’t doing carnivore we love to wrap our keto burgers in lettuce. It means we can pick them up and eat them like a burger. We usually use iceberg lettuce it holds up well.
- Pickles – Another must for our keto burgers. We LOVE pickles and our burgers are not quite the same without them. In Australia, these Handsome Devils co Pickles are awesome. They have no sugar added, so are our favourite pickles to use. For our US friends, check out these Best Maid dill pickles. Again, they are sugar free, so perfect to top your keto burger with.
Struggle with lunch ideas? access our free ebook now
The best thing about a burger is you can come up with your own creations. The possibilities are endless. We would love to see your keto burgers. Tag us on instagram or facebook so we can check them out. We are always keen to try new keto burger combinations
Seasoning your burgers
If you don’t have the Southwest Seasoning mix available you can use your preferred seasoning mix, or even make your own spice mixture. We like to include cumin, paprika and onion powder if we are making our own. For Australian’s, we love the Mingle Seasoning Sass blend as an alternative too.
Try some of our other delicious keto meal recipes
- Keto Egg Drop Soup
- Keto Nachos
- Porcini Meatball Stroganoff
- Keto Sausage tray bake
- Keto Laksa – Chicken
- Keto Osso Bucco Stew
- Creamy Bacon Noodles
- Keto Cauliflower Soup with smoky bacon flavours
- Keto Chicken Tenders – Sesame crusted
- Keto Chicken Burgers – Zucchini and Halloumi
- 500 grams Ground Pork (Pork Mince) 1 pound
- 500 grams Ground Beef (Beef Mince) 1 pound
- 200 grams Speck (or bacon) 0.5 pound
- 2 tbsp Southwest Seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt
- Dice the speck as small as possible. You could use a food processor or mincer if you have finely to get it more finally ground/chopped
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl
- Split the mixture into 8 patties and roll each on into a patty shape by hand
- Heat grill/BBQ on high
- Turn grill/BBQ down to low and place patties on grill/BBQ and flatten with a spatula
- Allow to cook on the grill for 5 minutes then flip and cook for a further 5 minutes. This will cook the burgers to well done.
- Add your favourite toppings and serve
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.