Erika loves coffee, but has never been a fan of the traditional bulletproof coffee. This led her to create this delicious bulletproof mocha. If you were a fan of a mocha or those mocha coffee packets, this bulletproof mocha is the perfect solution, with much less sugar. Using coconut butter and coconut oil for the fat and cocao powder for the chocolate, this is the perfect guilt free mocha and will keep you feeling full all day long.
Bulletproof has been a term that is used when adding fats to your drink and was started by people following a low carb and high fat diet. Traditionally it is a bulletproof coffee, made with with brewed coffee, grass fed butter and MCT oil.
Bulletproof coffee gained popularity along with the ketogenic lifestyle. Many people living the ketogenic lifestyle have incorporated a bulletproof drink into their regular meal plan. It is very common for someone to have a bulletproof coffee for breakfast and not eat again until dinner.
Don’t get me wrong, you can definitely live a ketogenic life and not have bulletproof coffee. I do. I don’t drink coffee, let alone a bulletproof one. I have occasionally enjoyed other bulletproof drinks, but they are not a daily routine for either of us.
These days bulletproof drinks can use many keto friendly fats and be flavoured in many different ways. Some popular bulletproof drinks are:
- Coconut and chai bulletproof tea
- Bulletproof bone broth
- Keto hot chocolate
- Bulletproof coffee (Of Course!)
Coconut butter is coconut that is blended until it forms a nut butter consistency. We love to have to as a snack and will often travel with these coconut butter sachets. In Australia we buy them through iherb.
It is also really easy to make your own coconut butter. It is also a much cheaper option. All you need is some shredded coconut and a blender. If you are interested in making your own, check out how here.
- If your coconut butter separates in the pantry heat it up slowly in the microwave or place the jar in hot water and then stir it well in the jar until it comes back together.
- Use a bullet or blender to blend your drink rather than a milk frother to ensure a frothy and creamy mocha with no oily residue.
- Be careful when blending hot liquids. Don’t fill your blender more than half way and take care when removing the lid.
- Adjust the amount of sweetener and the number of espresso shots depending on your preferences.
- Add a drop of peppermint or orange essential oil to your mocha for a peppermint or choc-orange variation
- Pop your mocha into your travel mug for a quick and easy breakfast on the go. It will keep you warm on your commute to work!
Disclosure: The above post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, at no additional cost to you. Everything we recommend on our website are products we use and love. Thank you for supporting Have Butter will Travel and allowing us to share our low carb experiences with you.
You may need –
Bulletproof Mocha – Dairy Free
This bulletproof mocha is the perfect dairy free way to start your day. The coffee and the cacao powder pair together to make the perfect mocha flavour without all the sugar of a regular mocha. The coconut butter and coconut oil add delicious fats to keep you fuelled all day. This bulletproof mocha will quickly become your favourite bulletproof drink.
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
If you like this recipe you may also like…
- Bulletproof Mocha – Dairy Free
- Caramel & Peanut Butter Keto Shake
- Bulletproof Tea – Coconut & Chai
- Bulletproof Bone Broth
- Keto Hot Chocolate
- How to Make Bone Broth
- How to make Cold Brew Coffee
- Chocolate Fat Bomb Smoothie
- How to make Almond Milk
- 1-2 shots espresso
- 2 tsp cacao powder
- 2-3 tsp granulated sweetener
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 pinch salt
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend for 1-2 minutes until it is creamy and frothy.
- Pour into your mug and serve immediately
Delicious! Have this for breakfast and you stay full until lunch!!
Delicious, thank you! Been searching for a vegan mocha recipe for some time and could never find one that worked. For mine I just added 1/2 a pitted date instead of monk fruit sweetener, and a bit more cocoa powder 🙂 Also recommend using almond or cashew butter with coffee if you haven’t tried that, but haven’t tried that in the mocha form yet. This one was perfect with the coconut butter instead.
Sounds great – thank you!