Our girls, Scout and Gem, were born on the 1st of October 2012 in foster care after their pregnant mother was dumped by her owner. They were part of a litter of four and once they were 12 weeks old, were put up for adoption. We had decided we were ready to bring pets into our lives and started looking for rescue kittens and found this litter through Hunter Animal Rescue. We went and met them and fell in love immediately. They quickly became a part of our family and we have loved watching their personalities grow.
They are inside only cats and are very spoilt. They love to wile away the hours sleeping on the bed while Erika works. Scout is cheeky, mischievous and loves to explore. Gem is more reserved, loves to sit near us but not on us and can be very demanding when she wants a pat.
At the beginning of 2017 Gem developed a sore on her neck, which resulted in several visits to the vet as she would scratch it obsessively. She was given cortisone tablets and we were advised that she was likely allergic to the food we were giving her. She also had to wear a “scarf” to stop her from scratching the sore. We were given a hypo-allergenic dry food from the vet and advised if it continued she would need to be on the drugs for life. This prompted us to do some further investigation, as neither of them were very happy with the new food and we wanted to see how we could change their diet to a more real food one. After doing some research we developed a recipe and gave it a go. They loved it. The best thing though was Gem’s sore cleared up, the scarf came off and she hasn’t had a sore or itch since starting this food in May 2017.
Keto Cat Raw Real Food Recipe
1kg of beef mince
500g of chicken livers
500g of chicken hearts
500g of chicken wings
4 x 425g tinned tuna in springwater (Make sure its not in oil and doesn’t have any added salt)
4 x 125g tinned sardines in springwater
- Chop the livers, hearts and chicken wings into bite size pieces. I have found using kitchen scissors works the best for the livers and hearts. I use a meat clever for the wings.
- Combine the beef mince, livers, hearts and chicken wings in a bowl and mix with a spoon until all combined.
- Divide this mixture into 6 equal portions.
- Use glad wrap to store portions in the freezer.
Keto kitty mixture
- Take 1 meat portion and add 1 x 425g tin of tuna(Drained) and 1 x 125g of sardines (drained and chopped) and mix until all combined.
- Store in the fridge. This mixture usually lasts 2-3 days depending on the serving.
- When you have 1 serve left of the keto kitty mixture, start defrosting a portion of the meat base to prepare for the next mix.
- We feed Scout and Gem twice daily and usually give them about 3 large spoonfuls each serving.
Have you tried feeding your pets a raw real food diet? Let us know your experience in the comments below.
Disclaimer: This is intended as advice only, also consult your vet prior to changing our cat’s diet.
Don't miss out!
Receive regular updates with exclusive content and deals